Windows 7 No Operating System Found

Gorilla

Supreme [H]ardness
PROBLEM SOLVED bios was configuring hard drives as IDE instead of RAID.

So yesterday my computer worked, I turned it off last night and let it install updates (12 of them to be exact). This morning, lo and behold when I turned it on it posted and then said something along the lines of "no operating system found." It also won't give me the option of pressing ctrl +i to configure RAID, it just jumps straight to the no os found message. I managed to get it to boot from the windows 7 disc, but it can't seem to find my installation of windows 7. When I go into bios setup it still detects all 3 of my hard drives so I don't think that one of those died. Is it possible that one of those stupid updates killed windows?

Right now i've got it running startup repair, but it never actually found my install of windows, so I don't know what it's going to accomplish.

Here's hoping that we can get this resolved.

Edit: It actually says "Missing operating system."
Also, i'm not sure that it is actually posting. First screen is an ASUS p5q pro screen that says press del for setup. Then I get a black screen that says initializing, which then states that No Hard disc was detected or found or something, jumps back to the Asus screen, and then back to a black screen that says Missing operating system.

Last edited:
You may be able to use BootRec to fix things. I rebuilt the BCD and MBR when I had a "no OS found" and even though ScanOs found nothing, the computer booted after that. Very weird, but hey it worked so I'll take it.

or something with the RAID broke, if you can't even get into the RAID BIOS.

It sounds like good advice, but I have a concern. Under the instructions for bootrec it says to select the OS that you want to repair, but in my case, no OS is found (it doesn't show up anywhere on the list).

No CTRL+I is a sign that it is not likely operating system related. Check the BIOS ensuring both hard drives are detected and the SATA controller is in RAID mode.

No CTRL+I is a sign that it is not likely operating system related. Check the BIOS ensuring both hard drives are detected and the SATA controller is in RAID mode.

:D You had it man. For some reason it was set to configure hard drives as IDE instead of RAID. As soon as I changed that everything worked.

Problem Resolved.

Back