Windows 7 - maximum resolution limit on images?

IanM

[H]ard|Gawd
I've trying to get to grips with a new scanner (Canon LiDE 210) and understand the limits on DPI and resolution. With moderate & high DPI settings it's very easy to hit a resolution limit, and the scanner software (MP Navigator EX 4.0) throws up the message:

Scan cannot proceed. Image size exceeds 10001 x 10001 pixels.
The scanner is able to scan at 4800dpi native, and something like 19600dpi with software interpolation, so I don't understand why Canon's supplied driver and software would make the image resolution limit.

Is this a limitation of Windows? I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit

So it's an image greater than 100 megapixels, and if the scanner saves the image as raw data, using 16 million colors the file would be larger than 300 megabytes. I'm guessing the limiting factor is the memory available to the scanner.

I'd say it's a limitation of the software you're using to do the scan more than anything else. The scanner itself simply isn't going to provide that kind of resolution as it is as noted; it's a 4800 dpi scan ceiling you're dealing with already. Not sure what's going on but, you might consider trying some other software.

Most everything can access the TWAIN interface so, use the Import function of some other software and see what you can do with it. This could end up being a limitation of the interface, the driver, the software, or the scanner itself.

...using 16 million colors the file would be larger than 300 megabytes. I'm guessing the limiting factor is the memory available to the scanner.
I wondered something similar, but when I first started looking at the options I set 4800dpi and tried to scan a catalogue cover - it estimated file size was 6.4GB and it popped up a warning that the file size must be reduced to <1.8GB. I thought reasonable enough, the PC only has 2GB RAM installed, but after reducing the size down it popped up the 10001 x 10001 pixel message. Tried it on my own PC next, with 8GB RAM installed, exact same limitation and error messages. Even if you drop down to black and white scans and 30MB-50MB file sizes the pixel limit exists.

EDIT: ScanGear is the driver, if you set 4800dpi to scan the full size of the scanner bed, the pixel resolution is something like 56000 pixels on the long edge. It's ScanGear that throws up the first warning: scan size must be 1.8GB or less, and 21000 x 30000 or less. Once the settings satisfy ScanGear, then MP Navigator EX 4.0 announces the the 10001 x 10001 limitation.

I'd say it's a limitation of the software you're using...
...consider trying some other software.
I think that is the next thing to do. I already tried Photoshop Elements 9's import function, but that's limited to 600dpi anyway.

...This could end up being a limitation of the interface, the driver, the software, or the scanner itself.
I'll probably end up asking Canon, but it's unlikely they will respond until the new year.

Last edited:
Back