Windows 7 Machine no longer sees share from WHSV1

maxse

Gawd
Hey guys need some help please.

I've been running WHSV1 for at least 3 years now without any problems. Upgraded my client to Windows 7 and stream movies etc.. no issues at all.

I gave "guest" account enabled with full access on the WHS server machine and just mapped theshares on my laptop...

Anyway, I did some updates on my windows7 laptop and now the computer can no longer see the "server" machine.

"Server" appears in "other devices" in windows explorer but I can't do anything with it. Just takes me to a page server.com by godaddy...

Also, I can no longer use RDP from within my own network! Says the SERVER machine does not exist...

I can log in to the server just fine using logmein.

Also, made sure the windows machine has the network that it joined set to "home." And still nothing...
I've had a similar problem years ago when I used to use zone alarm but I don't know how to fix it now. It's as if a firewall is blocking it or something. Have no idea what happened guys.

Can anyone help me out please?

this
"Server" appears in "other devices" in windows explorer but I can't do anything with it. Just takes me to a page server.com by godaddy...

Also, I can no longer use RDP from within my own network! Says the SERVER machine does not exist...

sounds like name resolution to me. are you using device names or IPs when trying to connect?

I am using device names. The name of my server is "SERVER"

Have no idea what happened. Just turned off the firewall on my laptop and still have the same problem.

I also have a Popcorn Hour Media streaming device that streams from the server, and there are no problems at all!

You might need to turn on network discovery through the networking center. Open a run command and type in \\server and see what you get back

So I re-installed windows7 and everything worked fine. Ran some updates and it just stopped working again! This is really frustrating as this is working jus fine on all of the other computers in the house.

in the DOS prompt when I typed in \\server I got a message that says "The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect."

Guys please help, I guess some option got changed somewhere that won't let me access the shares.

Again, "server" shows up under "other devices" but it is not showing up under "computers" in the network. The only computer that shows up there is my own laptop which I am using!

Update:

RDP does't work either BUT when I type in the actual local ip address of the "server" computer it connects just fine! It seems it just doesnt recognize he name "server"

I still don't know what's wrong but maybe this could help you guys help me out?

What happens if you use a name besides SERVER? Try calling it HARRY or something instead.

Back