Windows 7 Logon issues

Judd Sandage

Limp Gawd
I work for an Auto Group as an IT guy, and normally Google searching can find most solutions, but so far I have found bupkis, so I turn to you guys.

Lately we have had a few computers having issues with Logging in, all are running Windows7 with SP1 and various levels of updates, and all are on a domain. The problem is that some times we get a computer that when you hit crtl-alt-delete to login there is no login user name or password field, just the normal windows login background and a cancel button at the bottom. it does this even in safe mode, and so far the only thing I can do is a system restore to about 3 or 4 days before this happened and then it works fine, I would rather not have to do that all the time if I can help it. any of you guys have any idea as to what I should try?

one user had the need for a printer, I installed all the software for an HP AIO 6500, and after that it did this problem. another one installed LogMeIn on his computer and that seemed to cause it as well, but I don't know for sure.

Do the computers share something in common, like the same video card or on-board graphics?

not really, most are older P4s with intel GFX, even the newer ones are s775 pentiums with intel onboard. most are HPs.

Weird. All these computers have in common is Windows 7 and the corporate environment.
I would look there. Maybe some proprietary software that conflicts with the logon screen?
It does not seem to be malware or domain stuff like group policies. It's not hardware either, since the bug disappears after restoring a previous state. It's not the video driver either, since the same issue appears in safe mode using the built-in VGA driver.

You can also try installing and using that printer software or LogMeIn on the same machines again to see if the bug reappears.
Take a snapshot of the file system and Registry before, so you can compare the old and new systems.
LogMeIn Free seems to have quite a few bugs, and it's about login, so I wouldn't be too surprised if it caused some problem there. Since you need to manually add the computer name to access in LogMeIn (for Windows 7 computers), is it possible that your LogMeIn user did something wrong, like trying to add the domain name, and it propagated to some other computers? Or are all buggy computers from LogMeIn users?

I will see if that works, though the Logmein is only on one computer I will see if that might affect the others.

Well, on one machine that seems to have fixed it (deleting the keys under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\Credential Providers\). The other user with the logmein on it seems to still have the problem, I will have to check it again today when the user that's on it leaves.

Back