Windows 7 locking up explorer...

Klaerth

Weaksauce
I'm finding that Explorer locks up whenever I'm trying to transfer any large files (or a large number of files, ie. 30+). This is on a fresh, brand-new install of 64-bit Windows 7. Otherwise, it seems to run quite well for me...but this is very annoying, for it is preventing me from recovering some of my backups (or making it take much longer to recover those I have to do file by file, as opposed to them all at once). Has anyone else experienced a problem such as this?

The nasty thing is, even if I close explorer.exe, and then force it to run again, the taskbar does not work and I am unable to open any folders until I do a reboot.

A hardware list might help to address your issues or narrow it down to a specific component as a common point of failure amongst those that are having issues. Are you trying to transfer all of these files from an external drive with a USB connection?

Just via a DVD drive, is all. The system was previously (this morning) running Vista 32. I backed up a number of things onto DVD-Rs, tested to make sure they were working, then formatted and installed Windows 7 64. Now, if I try to take any large (1gb+) files off of the DVDs, or a large number at a single time, it will get part of the way through the transfer and then explorer locks up, with the only way I've found to fix it being a reboot.

To name any of the items that might be involved...
DVD-R drive: ASUS DRW-2014L1T
Motherboard: Abit IP35 Pro
Hard Drive: WD AAKS3200

Problem solved. Uninstalled AVG9, and I've been able to successfully transfer over all of my ~50gbs of files I had stored on DVD-Rs.

AVG caused Adobe Updater to fail for me--it wouldn't let the updater use the internet. It also jacked my quad-core CPU to a constant 25% usage (full throttle on core 0) which made Windows almost unusuable. I'm not sure what happened, but for me personally, I'm sticking with MSE.

And install TeraCopy. No Windows install is complete without it.

Back