Windows 7 + Legacy Radeon Hardware

TorxT3D

Gawd
i know! i know! i need to upgrade.. i'll wait for the official retail release of win7 before i do.

i had absolutely no problems with my win7 install even on my old circa 2003 hardware.
only thing i had to do was install the ethernet driver for my nforce2 board and daniel_k's creative xfi driver.

right now my radeon 9800 pro is running the default wdm driver. while that fine and dandy, i'd like some real 3rd party driver action. Of course amd/ati dont offer any win7 radeon9800pro drivers, nor has omega released any win7 drivers.

so im wondering, who here has installed 3rd party drivers, if so how should i go about it?
are vista drivers compatible??

thanks.

AMD has official Windows 7 drivers. Unfortunately, the Catalyst 9.3 and up won't support anything below the hd 2000 series in Windows 7 so your best bet is to get the latest drivers you can from Windows Update.

Is the default WDM driver allowing 3d acceleration or is it the one that just lets you have video without the card being installed? If you have AERO then you should have 3d acceleration and should be able to play games on it. Windows default drivers are pretty light weight and don't include control panels and extra's, just the drivers, that's why I like them.

Yes, Vista drivers will work for you.

64-bit
32-bit

the vista driver totally didnt work
i set a restore point beforehand, installed, but control panel never started up and the driver remained as WDM.

i uninstalled and restored. rebooted then tried just installing control panel, still didnt work.
tried adjusting compatibility to everything, still nothing worked..

looks like im stuck with wdm official driver.
aero works great and looks great, aero flip works and is smooth as butter.

I've heard some issues with ATI drivers. You have to go to the device and 'Update Driver' and point it to the folder that gets created.

But if you have AERO, you have 3d acceleration, which means you can play games with it. You should be fine as-is.

yea, imma chalk up the choppiness of things due to my 1gb of pc3200 ram :p
thanks guys.

Back