Windows 7 killed my HX620

Decibel

2[H]4U
Last night I installed the Windows 7 RC. This morning I woke to silence. The circuit breaker my alarm clock and computer are on blew sometime during the night. I am now the proud owner of an attractive red and black 620 watt door stop. It kinda smells funny though.

I'm in need of a replacement. Is the 620 enough PSU for a c2q, gtx280, 3 hds, and 2 optical drives? The Corsair calculator says "no" if you factor in overclocking.

I figured the 620 was enough without getting into SLI. It's a BIG step to the HX1000. I'm thinking another 620 and I'll have a spare once I get my RMA back.

If you guys have any other suggestions, I'm looking at PSUs I can pick up at Fry's which retail for less than $150. Modular is basically a requirement for me at this point.

If I'd paid more attention to the infrequent random reboots I've been getting for a couple of months I would have known this was coming. I just figured I was trying to push my nothbridge too hard with 8 gigs of ram and a healthy overclock. I kept meaning to clean it up, but life get's in the way.

Also, do you guys think the PSU took anything else out in it's death throes? I really don't want to have to replace any more parts.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

*Note - The poster does not blame MS for this unfortunate event. The death of this PSU was inevitable, the timing coincidental.

Hm, dunno. IMO, there should have been enough power, but then, not sure to what level you're taking the OC. Maybe the PSU had some defect that didn't become too apparent until it kicked the bucket.

You know, as much as I like Corsair PSUs, there are other brands in the world; and some are quite good (like Enermax, for example...).

Also I keep on saying that a good quality 620W should be more than enough for a setup like yours but everyone is treating me like a heretic.

I just got back from Fry's. Damn the "I want it NOW!" tax hurts. I ended up going with a TX850 for ten dollars less than they wanted for the HX620.

I'm pretty sure it's more than a bit of overkill for my setup, and I'm going to miss the modular cables.

I hear you on the other brands, but that whole patience thing gets in the way - I don't have any. With all of the complete garbage Fry's sells, Corsair is a known quantity.

Tonight, I get to find out if anything else died. Dammit.

I just got back from Fry's. Damn the "I want it NOW!" tax hurts. I ended up going with a TX850 for ten dollars less than they wanted for the HX620.

Great PSU with plenty of headroom for you. It's not modular, but still a very good, quality, efficient unit. ;)

Also I keep on saying that a good quality 620W should be more than enough for a setup like yours but everyone is treating me like a heretic.

I agree completely. I still haven't seen a moderate system that a GOOD 620 watt supply won't power. Got a 500 watt PCP&C Silencer for one this last Christmas and the killawatt was reading 145 watts at idle and 260 in-game (AMD Phenom 9600, 9800GTX+, WD Black 1TB, and DVD Burner)! My new system seems to be fine with my 610 silencer. I would recommend both for anyone here, as they have been spectacular so far. The wife's new compy has a 370 silencer too! :D

You know, as much as I like Corsair PSUs, there are other brands in the world; and some are quite good (like Enermax, for example...).

Well, I agree on the Enermaxes, at least stuff like the Revolution85+ series that are totally excellent and I'd like one for myself, but then, they cost an arm and a leg and at the prices they're going you're definitely going to expect and of course get top quality.

Ever since i switeched the TX750 to a Revo 1050 i can run higher clocks at lower voltages. To me corsair is garbage but i wanted to try a good brand and $80 for that psu AR is a good deal or so i thought. I had 6 HDDs some are SAS, Raid Controller, 3.8Ghz OC and 4890. The unit ran hot and loud most of the time. The revo is cold to the touch under full load compared to that 750w unit. No more corsair psu's for me and don't get why people praise them so much. I don't think that 750w psu would be able to handle another 4890 under my current set up.

It took Corsair about 28 hours to get me a RMA number. More than acceptable.

So far it looks like I'm OK. During the bit testing I was able to run last night I didn't see any errors. It will probably be a few days before I know that I came out with all of my components working. Though there will always be the lingering specter of shortened lifespans.

I hope more than a few people have been able to get a good chuckle out of this thread. That was, after all, the primary point.

Ever since i switeched the TX750 to a Revo 1050 i can run higher clocks at lower voltages. To me corsair is garbage but i wanted to try a good brand and $80 for that psu AR is a good deal or so i thought. I had 6 HDDs some are SAS, Raid Controller, 3.8Ghz OC and 4890. The unit ran hot and loud most of the time. The revo is cold to the touch under full load compared to that 750w unit. No more corsair psu's for me and don't get why people praise them so much. I don't think that 750w psu would be able to handle another 4890 under my current set up.

So you consider Corsair junk because its 750 watt unit isn't as powerful as the 1050 watt Enermax unit? Of course the Enermax runs cooler, it's not running near its max output. It has 87 amps on the 12v rail compared to the Corsairs 60.

Also factor in that the Enermax was built for efficiency. The highest the Corsair reached was 83% compared to the Enermax which reached a high over 88%. So of course it's going to be cooler.

You haven't explained how the Corsair, which ran your rig without failing, was junk. It cost you $80 and is part of the low cost line offered by Corsair. The Enermax goes for $295 right now on newegg and is the part of the flagship series for Enermax.

And all of this makes Corsair garbage?!? :confused::confused::confused:

So you consider Corsair junk because its 750 watt unit isn't as powerful as the 1050 watt Enermax unit? Of course the Enermax runs cooler, it's not running near its max output. It has 87 amps on the 12v rail compared to the Corsairs 60.

Also factor in that the Enermax was built for efficiency. The highest the Corsair reached was 83% compared to the Enermax which reached a high over 88%. So of course it's going to be cooler.

You haven't explained how the Corsair, which ran your rig without failing, was junk. It cost you $80 and is part of the low cost line offered by Corsair. The Enermax goes for $295 right now on newegg and is the part of the flagship series for Enermax.

And all of this makes Corsair garbage?!? :confused::confused::confused:

Corsair is marketed as a premium enthusiast power supply and it failed to deliver its MSRP is $170. I can run higher clocks with lower voltages with the revo. Is not about output, my current rig is nowhere near the max of the TX750 yet it always run unstable when the rig was OCed. CORSAIR = FAIL when highly oced but it should do fine in my mom's rig.

Corsair is marketed as a premium enthusiast power supply and it failed to deliver its MSRP is $170. I can run higher clocks with lower voltages with the revo. Is not about output, my current rig is nowhere near the max of the TX750 yet it always run unstable when the rig was OCed. CORSAIR = FAIL when highly oced but it should do fine in my mom's rig.
The fact that you weren't able to overclock as much and that the PSU was hot and loud makes me inclined to believe that the PSU may have been defective in some way, since that is certainly not behaviour that a TX750 should exhibit when paired with a fairly low-load system like yours. It is certainly not grounds to criticize Corsair for a lack of quality in their PSU line. Corsair's entire PSU line is of quite good quality. There are certainly better-performing options out there, but their products aren't slouches.

Back