Windows 7 is now on Technet

because its annual reoccuring price. i guess if you got the dough then all is good.

No its not a reoccuring price. Once you have the software, its yours to use forever. Now if something new comes out after your subscription ends then sure, you don't get it. But you could get TechNet NOW, have Windows 7 and Office 2010 when it comes out. So for $261 you have pretty much full access to all versions of Windows and Office forever. $261 is piss ant money for that.

Just a heads up for anyone else downloading with akamai - mine stopped at 71% to do an integrity check then all of a sudden it was done at 100%. SHA1 check and file size match up so I'm at a loss to explain, but I'll try it out when I get home.

quote myself so this doesn't get buried at the bottom of the last page (for 40ppp viewers)

prerelease crap?? it's RTM code and you get 10 licenses of Windows 7 Ultimate, PLUS 10 licenses of Windows 7 Professional, plus 10 licenses of Office, etc, etc.... if you were to get everything Technet allows you it would be well over 10 grand worth of software

all you people dln with technet... does your company pay for your account or you actually pay that ungodly price just to dl some microsoft prerelease crap?

so many ppl have a account there..

prerelease crap?? it's RTM code and you get 10 licenses of Windows 7 Ultimate, PLUS 10 licenses of Windows 7 Professional, plus 10 licenses of Office, etc, etc.... if you were to get everything Technet allows you it would be well over 10 grand worth of software

it'd be way more then 10 grand...

$264 a year is ungodly? Really? Some people pay more than this for text messaging plans on their cell phones. Some people pay more than this several times a year for a new video card. That is hardly considered ungodly, and I'd be willing to bet if you looked at your own spending, unless you are 15 years old, you could find a place where that much was being wasted per year.

By the way, the Akamai Download Manager, or whatever is much faster for me too.
And some people here say you can write it off as a business expense, too (something your company didn't reimburse).

all you people dln with technet... does your company pay for your account or you actually pay that ungodly price just to dl some microsoft prerelease crap?
RTM is what is getting stamped onto the retail disks you'll go buy at BabiesRUs or wherever YOU shop.

No its not a reoccuring price. Once you have the software, its yours to use forever. Now if something new comes out after your subscription ends then sure, you don't get it. But you could get TechNet NOW, have Windows 7 and Office 2010 when it comes out. So for $261 you have pretty much full access to all versions of Windows and Office forever. $261 is piss ant money for that.

QFT.

And with Windows 7 dropping it makes it worth just that much more :)

QFT.

And with Windows 7 dropping it makes it worth just that much more :)
I'd buy TechNet or MAPS but the buddy I was going to split it with doesn't have the cash atm. And I really want to update to W7 (from XP Pro).

so many ppl have a account there..

obvious_troll.jpg

man how did anyone DL their yet. I know it cant possibly be at my backend thats making me dl so slow....

Read the license terms for Technet subscriptions. They are for one user non-production environment. $349.

Software is licensed for evaluation purposes only—not for use in production environments. TechNet Plus subscriptions include the most recent Microsoft software version. Visit Microsoft Software License Terms for details on your use rights for evaluation software and other components of the TechNet Subscription product.

This: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb892759.aspx

This: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../ms772427.aspx

And This: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../cc294422.aspx

Last edited:
Downloading at only 150k/s at the moment, I'm sure they are just getting hammered with downloads.

man how did anyone DL their yet. I know it cant possibly be at my backend thats making me dl so slow....

I downloaded mine in about an hour and 15 minutes (finished 10 minutes ago) using the Akamai DLM which has been discussed in this thread.

I downloaded mine in about an hour and 15 minutes (finished 10 minutes ago) using the Akamai DLM which has been discussed in this thread.

Yea I didnt see that before but now I am using that and boy finally 3MB/s.

FWIW, from a thread here: http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/19579-up-yet-d-32.html

You guys might want to try this:

"For what it's worth...I started a download using the Microsoft Download Manager and my download speed continually was dropping. Using advice I saw elsewhere, I clicked "Top Downloads" at the top of the Technet page (using IE). It prompts to download the Akamai Download Manager. Going that route my download speed is 2X to 3X what I had before....I am upwards of 900KB/sec (fluctuates from 600KB to 1.3KB)"

Multiple confirmed reports that it speeds things up dramatically.

"you rock" indeed. Mine will be done in less than an hour.

...<boring legal mumbo jumbo>...
Oh no he/she didn't post an entire f'ing EULA!!! :p

My copy finished downloading in about 18 minutes. Akamai. The MS downloads never got above 120KB and mainly stayed around 60KB/s.

well im off to bed currently sitting at 15% and DLding @ 320KB/s i know what im doing tomorrow night!!!

I understand your point, but was it really necessary to quote the entire EULA?

Will anyone(Ryle) gain an equal sum of intelligence to the length of that post?

This: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/bb892759.aspx

This: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/ms772427.aspx

And This: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/cc294422.aspx

should suffice.

Sorry about that entire EULA post, but is it anymore of a waste than
my DL is 100KB/sec , First Post, I'm install now, etc. :p

Just finished my Windows 7 Ultimate x64 ISO download (at a little over 1.1MB/s sustained) and did a binary comparison with the *cough*ISO I got from Redmond 2 weeks ago*cough* and guess what... exactly the same, down to the bit, checksums are still accurate and... well... let's just say it's been running fine ever since it was installed.

Nice to see the rest of the world catching up. ;)

Just finished my Windows 7 Ultimate x64 ISO download (at a little over 1.1MB/s sustained) and did a binary comparison with the *cough*ISO I got from Redmond 2 weeks ago*cough* and guess what... exactly the same, down to the bit, checksums are still accurate and... well... let's just say it's been running fine ever since it was installed.

Nice to see the rest of the world catching up. ;)
Hey Hey!!! Some of us would rather not catch eHerpes upon first boot. mkay? :eek::p

Sorry about that entire EULA post, but is it anymore of a waste than
my DL is 100KB/sec , First Post, I'm install now, etc. :p

When your frame it like that... Then, yes, I agree. :D
Ditto.

Hey Hey!!! Some of us would rather not catch eHerpes upon first boot. mkay? :eek::p

Well I did say I got mine from Redmond... ;) Been doing contract work for Microsoft for 29 years... it has some benefits. Didn't get me a key, but it got me the ISOs (x86 and x64) without issue.

Well I did say I got mine from Redmond... ;) Been doing contract work for Microsoft for 29 years... it has some benefits. Didn't get me a key, but it got me the ISOs (x86 and x64) without issue.
True, true. All this talk about checksums, torrents and hax... yanno, I kind of assumed. :( speed reading ftl.

Ok, time to install this bitch. I would say be back in 10 but I forgot to backup my mail and some other shit. RC installs in 8 min from a USB stick to SSD. I wonder if the RTM installs any quicker?

lol, seeing the impossible amounts of pwnage techiesooner just endured on his MD5/SHA silliness made me cringe more than im used to doing on an online forum :)

I'm still a few hours away from anything being complete, but have they changed the way the DVDs work from how Vista did it? i.e. Ultimate disc can install Pro, Basic, Premium, etc.

I've noticed that they come up as different files, but many are the same size. I was hoping to only need 4 DVDs (x64, x86 retails & x64, x86 Enterprise)

With Windows 7, the disc is locked to the edition - an Ultimate disc only installs Ultimate, Pro only installs Pro, etc. The key does not determine which edition anymore, hence you see the individual editions on MSDN/TechNet.

You can take the contents of the ISO, extract them to the hard drive in a folder, go into the sources folder and delete the ei.cfg file and then reburn the contents using vLite (or just use it to create an ISO for some other app to burn) and that's it. By removing the ei.cfg file you restore the ability of choosing the OS you want to install, but obviously you still need a key tied to that edition if you ever intend to have a legitimate activation.

I have Home Premium, Professional, and Ultimate ISOs I created myself (they install only those editions), in both x86 and x64 versions.

With Windows 7, the disc is locked to the edition - an Ultimate disc only installs Ultimate, Pro only installs Pro, etc. The key does not determine which edition anymore, hence you see the individual editions on MSDN/TechNet.

You can take the contents of the ISO, extract them to the hard drive in a folder, go into the sources folder and delete the ei.cfg file and then reburn the contents using vLite (or just use it to create an ISO for some other app to burn) and that's it. By removing the ei.cfg file you restore the ability of choosing the OS you want to install, but obviously you still need a key tied to that edition if you ever intend to have a legitimate activation.

I have Home Premium, Professional, and Ultimate ISOs I created myself (they install only those editions), in both x86 and x64 versions.
I also want to add that by doing this, you can change between Retail and OEM. This is a nice reason to have Win 7 on a flash drive because you can edit the file on the fly, install the edition you want, then quickly change it back to another version without having to burn the file again. Simply edit the cfg file on the flash drive in Notepad.

And some people here say you can write it off as a business expense, too (something your company didn't reimburse).

RTM is what is getting stamped onto the retail disks you'll go buy at BabiesRUs or wherever YOU shop.

It's also worth noting that the description of the software via Technet is:

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) - DVD (English)

It's pretty obvious that there is no reference there to "prerelease", "beta", "release candidate", etc.

It's obviously the release version.

I just used UltraISO - load the ISO, delete the ei.cfg from the ISO's contents, re-save the ISO, done. Done that like 15 times with the 16385/RTM ISO, hasn't been an issue yet.

People are under this impression that you MUST reburn all this stuff, and that's not the case - UltraISO, PowerISO, and other utilities can easily delete a file from the ISO itself and then resave the modified ISO, and you're done.

Do you use the RC Key for the Ultimate Version? There is no GET button for the Key in Ultimate on the downloads page.

Edit: Well shit, the Download button is greyed out on the Ultimate Versions. :(

Back