Windows 7 is gold!

RTM hasn't exactly been announced, but Brandon Leblanc has a new post on the topic.
For those too lazy to click (most emphasis added by me):

For IT Professionals:
There are a few ways you can get Windows 7 RTM. IT Professionals with TechNet Subscriptions will be able to download Windows 7 RTM in English on August 6th and remaining languages by October 1st.

IT Professionals at companies with Volume Licensing see above on how you can get Windows 7 RTM.

We have quite a bit of resources for IT Professionals to use to become experts on Windows 7 and to aid in their deployments. Those resources can be found at the Springboard Series.

Don't have Technet?
They're also releasing an evaluation version of Windows 7 Professional, shortly after RTM. It's apparently part of th eSpringboard Series. Look for more information there or on the windowsteamblog

So is it safe to assume that the RTM version will not expire in March and can be installed on a live system?

So is it safe to assume that the RTM version will not expire in March and can be installed on a live system?

yes, RTM is what is going to be on store shelves come October 22nd (or whenever it actually gets there).

Those of us with a Technet or MSDN subscription don't care about when Retail gets 7. We want to know when we get it :D

LOL, I'm just stating facts. I got my Technet subscription and am wating for Aug. 6th.

Congratulations Microsoft on the RTM of Windows 7!:D

I'll be taking August 6th and 7th off if I can!

Two days.... ????????

Hmm well, interesting I guess. Maybe there's a Microsoft Cult that I didn't know about, lol :D

Nothing that weird. Just tired of my primary systems being on a beta OS and wanting to get everything back in place for another 3 years.

Nothing that weird. Just tired of my primary systems being on a beta OS and wanting to get everything back in place for another 3 years.

I'm same. In my case it's my household media center machine that's on the pre-release distro, and my personal everyday rig is still on Vista. But I've taken the decision that the Network will be moved to Windows 7, and I'd rather see final code in place than unfinished code. The sooner the better, now that it's already in use.

I'm a very happy Vista user, by the way, and wasn't really seriously considering earlier adoption of Windows 7 because I so well understand that 7 is really just a tidy up and tune up of Vista. But it's a couple of the 'new and/or improved' features whoich have appeared along with that tidy up and tune up which have changed my outlook from 'don't care much' to 'want it now!'

Home networking

Get beyond the 'how do I use it?' stuff and into the 'what can it actually do?' territory, and you begin to realise that home networking is streets ahead of what we've seen in windows previously.

Quite frankly, the 'Homegroup' concept can be applied in such a way that I can very easily configure resources on the home network here in such a way that other end-users here (who aren't particularly computer literate) can just get on with 'doing stuff'. It can be easily configured in such a way that other end-users don't even ever have to think about 'network'!

Accessibility features

With one of the end-users here being my old Dad, whose eyesight is failing, accessibility features become important. And the improvements to those under windows 7 makes them comparable to often expensive commercial alternatives. They've become stuff which is easily pulled up and operated using a few simple shortcuts, and they've become stuff which has got away from the 'programmer oriented' mindset and into the 'user oriented' mindset.

So. Want it. Using it already. No point to continuing with pre-release code any longer than I absolutely have to!

And there was nothing about Vista needing 'fixing' which prompted the decision. Shifting 'Mail' and "Photo Gallery' etc over to the Windows Live realm rather than leaving it in the OS was a detrimental and dopey move. The 'new' default setting for UAC is a backwards and silly step. But a couple of very much improved functionalities outweigh any and all other considerations!

Back