Windows 7 is gold!

I'm on RC build 7100...the one right off tech net dated 4/30/2009.

Do windows updates upgrade the build? Or just different leaks post the RC thats on technet?

Windows update doesn't upgrade the build. '

The leaks are exactly that... leaks. MS doesn't intend for them to be in the public's hands, at least not officially. Someone close to MS or inside MS broke the rules and uploaded the private build.

^^ Or MS is doing it purposely to build on some hype by showing improvements made is even minor revisions.

He asked why this specific build is RTM over others. That's the process they use.

Well what I completely meant was that I understand that 7600.16384 is likely RTM, but that there is a chance that it may instead be 7600.16385 or 16386 or something higher.

My reasoning for that was looking back at Vista, they initially 'declared' RTM at 6000.16384, but ended up doing a few more builds, and the real RTM ended up 6000.16386.

well it will work for my moms setup then, but f that for me... im not installing a os just to install an os...

well it will work for my moms setup then, but f that for me... im not installing a os just to install an os...

Well is is an upgrade copy. An upgrade copy is either to upgrade your current OS or because you own a previous version of windows. Having the previous version installed and activated is how it verifies that.
If you don't want to do that then an upgrade copy is not for you. You are one of those people who need either an OEM copy or a full retail copy.

I just installed Virtual PC and XP Mode on Home Premium 7600. So much for Professional's biggest selling point. Hope no one pre-ordered just for that :/

I just installed Virtual PC and XP Mode on Home Premium 7600. So much for Professional's biggest selling point. Hope no one pre-ordered just for that :/

So home premium gave you a free licensed copy of XP did it? And virtual PC with the knowledge to do so?

People buy Pro because they get a legit copy of XP with it and everything they need to run it along with full seamless integration.

And now they can just run it when they buy Home Premium instead of forking over the extra money for Professional/Ultimate. The license for the XP comes in the XP Mode vm image, not in the Professional/Ultimate version. That's just marketing hogwash you just posted tbh. But then again XP Mode entirely is just marketing bs as all it is is Virtual PC 2007 SP1, and anyone can dl/install that and run an XP image in there. The only thing XP mode has over it is that the XP image is pre-activated, and allows RDP connection (how it does the seamless integration) to the host system.

I like how he says "verified" in his title, yet goes on to write an uncited editorial without any proof or links to others with proof of his ramblings.

i have to agree with you. it was a fairly bias against microsoft overall too... which was weird as 99% of the other reviews dealing with win7 cant help but spooge all over the blog about its awesomeness.

I heard it was leaked from china lol. I want to make sure its rtm before doing anything. No point in reinstalling twice within a short period of time.

I heard it was leaked from china lol. I want to make sure its rtm before doing anything. No point in reinstalling twice within a short period of time.

Watch out. Install that and North Korea will pwned you...

Can't wait for this to hit TechNet.

Ditto. I'm sure I could go to any number of places and find an image, but there's no way I'm installing a pirated OS (from China of all places). I can wait a week or 2 (and for all we know, it'll hit Technet/MSDN tomorrow).

Can't remember where I saw it but looks like someone googled it and I think the site they found was the one I saw.

Well what I completely meant was that I understand that 7600.16384 is likely RTM, but that there is a chance that it may instead be 7600.16385 or 16386 or something higher.

My reasoning for that was looking back at Vista, they initially 'declared' RTM at 6000.16384, but ended up doing a few more builds, and the real RTM ended up 6000.16386.

Well the final BUILD is 7600 (and of Vista was 6000) changes in the numbers after that dot would be just file swap-outs (things that could be changed via windows update) but not an entire recompile/rebuild of the entire thing.

Because there's alot of dumbass programmers that check for CompatibilityKernel=6
Instead of CompatibilityKernel>6

Actually, I suspect they do something like

Code:
if (CompatibilityKernel > 5.0 && CompatibilityKernel <= 7.0)

The reason they do that is that there's no way they can be certain that their app will work with version 7.x and in this case, they know it doesn't work with apps prior to Win 2000.

In the days of DOS, you used dosver to overcome these types of problems.

With that said, I suspect that some apps have different branches of code that they execute depending on which version of Windows you're running.

You'd think so, but I really don't see the media (who blasted Vista) saying that Windows 7 is snappier and you have to get it NOW!!!
Especially once you tell them it's largely Vista underneath. The underlying framework is the same, just more speed enhancements and feature enhancements than anything else.

As I recall, the media didn't initially blast Vista. Hell, Walt Mossberg, Mr Apple fan boy with a pen, gave a generally positive review, but he didn't recommend people upgrade old hardware to Vista. I like vista, and I generally defend it, but I suspect what did them in was Vista Capable. If you had a decent graphics card (or a non-intel IGS), you had no problem with vista. But if you had a crappy IGS, Aero sucked ass. In the end, that's really MS's fault, and, unfortunately, those who thought Vista Capable was a bad idea didn't win the internal debate.

Is Office 2010 beta availabel on TechNet yet?

I was under the impression that the first beta is still months away. Ed Bott posted something on Office 2010, and he said it's definitely not something you'd want to put on a production machine (which is to say it's not even close to the 7 Beta)

I can wait.

The version released on TechNet will have no expiration date, correct? Done deal?

The "Technical Preview" leak of Office 2010 is beta 1; the original Technical Preview was back earlier this year. The one that's "floating around" right now is the newest one, is beta 1, but still maintains the "Technical Preview" moniker. The files all have build dates/times and digital signatures timestamped on &#8206;Wednesday, &#8206;July &#8206;08, &#8206;2009 5:49:49 AM.

It works, and it works well, but yes it's beta code so obviously production machines are a no-no, but this isn't about production, right? It's about learning... and other neat schtuffz... ;)

How many grace period rearms does this version come with?

EDIT: Also, does the registry method for getting an even longer grace period work on Windows 7 as well?

Last edited:
And as expected, 7600.16384 is most likely not the final build as rumors are surfacing from many sources of a 16385 build from today (the 13th). More news to come...

WTF!! 7600.090710 is not final indeed, they started talking about 7600.16385 in the win7 forum link mentioned earlier in this thread, even 7600.16384 chinese version is available for download!

I hate to be the one reporting this, but just for the record, they cracked it already!

Forums mean Jack Fucking Shit, to be honest.

When this blog says it's RTM, then it is:

http://windowsteamblog.com/

and not a minute before... and nothing that any forum or website or person ever says is gonna change that. :D

And I can write a script to show "This is permanently activated" in 20 seconds.

The accurate and legit info is acquired by using slmgr -dlv to verify the license and it'll present the status. That image is just a shoop.

it&#8217;s not just a screenshot, the required files and instructions are out and chinaman friends already did it and confirmed that its works, but that doesn&#8217;t matter now since it&#8217;s not final.

Did a fresh install today and been playing around with build 7600 and Office 2010 Beta, both x64.

I must say it does feel "snappier" than Vista x64 and smoother than W7 RC1. Like Joe said, Office 2010 x64 freaking flies. It's as if I am using notepad. :D

Can't wait for RTM! Good-Bye Vista.

Yep wzor has the new build listed too

6.1.7600.16385.win7_rtm.090713-1255

im happy i only installed 16384 in a VM :p

Has anyone with a TechNet Windows 7 key tried it on 7600 yet? Did it activate? Is there an expiration? Just wondering if TechNet will give out new keys for the RTM or if we will be using the same ones they already gave us.

As noted before, unless the Windows Team Blog says it's RTM, it's not sooo...

Ballmer is taking the stage as I type this at the Digital WPC so, perhaps he'll announce, we'll see what happens.

They actually declared this last release as NOT being RTM and that THEY ARE NOT DONE, so I don't know why people keep saying it is...

Back