Windows 7 install & space required.

Phantum

[H]ard|Gawd
The minimum reqs for HD space are 16GB for 32bit and 20GB for 64bit. I am currently running Win7 Home Premium 64bit and was thinking about picking up a PQI 32GB MLC SSD from a buddy on the cheap :D

However I'm wondering if that will be sufficient space for Win7, Office & a few steam games? Anyone know approx. how much space Win7 eats on a fresh install?

im pretty sure that 20GB is the fresh install space :) atleast on my system 20 GB is "missing" even though the whole drive was setup to be used, has been since I installed in on October 23 .... so I would say that 32GB should be fine for that.

I got Win7 RC on a 10GB partition. Assuming you have another drive for storage that should be plenty. Although, I'm not sure how big those steam games you want to install are.

My Windows install is only taking 15GB, so 32GB is enough. Though, I do have all my user files(My Documents, My Pictures, and the like) moved to a separate HDD. The 20GB recommendation is just Microsoft covering their ass. Gotta be conservative when dealing with such a large market. I have Office on my C: but not Steam. But seeing as I still have a ton of room, I'd say you could fit 2 or more games, depending on how much room they take.

Random question that seems kind of appropriate for here. Assume both examples are on the 300GB WD Raptor:

Example A - 20 GB OS install on a 25 GB partition.
Example B - 20 GB OS install on a 100 GB partition.

Basically, what I am wondering, is if it makes a difference in performance if a certain percentage of free space is used up?

Windows 7 RC and Professional 32bit installed on an 8GB SSD in my Dell Mini 9. Used 6GB for the installs.
When I installed a 16GB SSD and Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit, it used 9.5GB for the install.

I'm getting a new computer soon and will only have 1 750GB WD Black hard drive. I would like to make 2 partitions so it's easier to reformat once in awhile without having to erase all my data (just the windows partition).
So my question is, how big should I make the Windows 7 partition? I was thinking 60gb out of the 750gb, but is that too much?

Back