Windows 7 HP to Windows 10 Best Way

msny

2[H]4U
Long time member, but been out of the loop on anything beyond Windows 7
because of my work VPN was not supported until now.

So I have the Home Premium version of 7 and want to know my best upgrade path.
I would prefer not to wipe everything I have and start over, unless really necessary.

Should I simply do the standard upgrade using the icon in the tray?
Benefits or drawbacks on this?

Can I do a backup copy of Windows 10, before I upgrade just in case?
Can I do an upgrade, but as a clean install with my applications directly?
(I assume the standard upgrade doesn't do this/)

What's my best plan of action?
Any good links to guides or info appreciated.

Thanks much.

Any way will work really. The tray icon works, or you can download the media creation tool and upgrade that way, which is more or less the modern equivalent of upgrading from a Disc.

By "backup copy of Windows 10" I assume you meant your old OS, windows 7? You could, but also know that Windows 10 has a very good reset feature that will give you the option of going back to Windows 7 for the first 30 days after your upgrade. If you choose to do so, it only takes about 15 minutes and puts you back to basically right where you left off before you began the Windows 10 upgrade.

Can I do an upgrade, but as a clean install with my applications directly?

What do you mean by "with my applications directly"?

You can do a Clean install of 10 and input your Windows 7 key during the process. If the key is built into the bios, then it may even detect it automatically. Also, if you do a traditional upgrade, then from that point forward your Windows 10 install will be tied to your hardware. If you then do a clean install on that same hardware it will recognize it automatically.

Reactions: msny
like this
Unless you have a Windows Update issue, you should at this point be getting hounded by Windows to upgrade to Win10.

Just do whatever it's telling you to do.

Any way will work really. The tray icon works, or you can download the media creation tool and upgrade that way, which is more or less the modern equivalent of upgrading from a Disc.

By "backup copy of Windows 10" I assume you meant your old OS, windows 7? You could, but also know that Windows 10 has a very good reset feature that will give you the option of going back to Windows 7 for the first 30 days after your upgrade. If you choose to do so, it only takes about 15 minutes and puts you back to basically right where you left off before you began the Windows 10 upgrade.

You can do a Clean install of 10 and input your Windows 7 key during the process. If the key is built into the bios, then it may even detect it automatically. Also, if you do a traditional upgrade, then from that point forward your Windows 10 install will be tied to your hardware. If you then do a clean install on that same hardware it will recognize it automatically.

No, what I mean is, can I save an image or w

OK got that. I can do a clean install using my win 7 key.
But I guess I'll just opt for the standard upgrade feature.

Thanks everyone, much appreciated from all the experts.

I ended up doing a clean install, when doing the upgrade I got an error message
about not having enough cache space or something to that effect.

Back