Windows 7: How to permanently remove mapped network drive?

castun

2[H]4U
So I know that when you first setup a mapped network drive, there is the checkbox to automatically reconnect at login. There doesn't seem to be a way to disable that option or permanently remove the mapped location. Manually disconnecting just results in the mapped locations showing up after a reboot.

After some Googling it would appear they have removed these options for whatever reason in Win 7.

I have 3 different mapped locations, each of which points to a specific subfolder of the same file server. I really only need the one though TBH, and the other two are locations I never use. I never added them myself, I believe they may have been added back when the original domain server had failed and was replaced, but was setup with a new domain name due to some issue (and I think the login script may have initially added them for every user as well, though would need to verify.)

I'd like to remove them because it agitates my 'OCD' nature seeing them there. :D

Should just be able to right click My Computer and choose "Disconnect network drive..."

Most likely they are connected via startup script or in gpo then. Talk to your desktop support and see what they say.

That's not permanent though. After every reboot they are back.

that isn't how it's supopsed to work.
if you disconnect the network drives, they're not supposed to come back.

I would agree with AcidBurn on them being mapped by a logon script or GPO.

Yeah, somethings remapping those drives if they're coming back on login. You should be able to see your logon scripts at \\domaincontroller\netlogon. Check your account in AD to see what one it's mapped to. If you don't have one, then it's most likely a GPO doing it.

right click on the mapped drive and click disconnect/remove. It will not reconnect anymore on reboots unless you have some other software causing it to reconnect.

Was a startup script that was the culprit. Had them remove it off my account and now all is well. Should've figured as much, just thought there might have been another way around it. Thanks.

Back