Windows 7 Home Premium $29.99 for students

If you do the email sending eligibility thing with digital river but don't order, can you still call them and get a physical copy?

This is probably a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway just for the hell of it. I just tried it myself to confirm that I can get 7 pro online to others. :p

Last edited:
there was a link provided earlier using "ocsdimg" to make ISO disk out of it..

and yes, it did work for me.. I just did a clean install with no previous OS install and the key does work without a problem (activated of course) :D

its indeed a full retail key, but that installation just nuts..hopefully that ain't the disk I ordered ....

ooooooo
Has anyone whose university not been initially listed had any success with this offer?
I just emailed them a copy of my student ID, wondering if I should bother waiting for a response or not.
ooooooo

Ne thoughts on if when the disk comes you could just use it as a boot disk instead of going through any possible headache? I'd pay the $15 for peace of mind.

That place is retarded. I ordered Professional and somehow it got changed to Premium, which I noticed on order summary page. Emailed them to change it and they replied back 'no refunds.' It's like they didn't even read my email. I didn't ask for any refund.

Last edited:
That place is retarded. I ordered Professional and somehow it got changed to Premium, which I noticed on order summary page. Emailed them to change it and they replied back 'no refunds.' It's like they didn't even read my email. I didn't ask for any refund.

I noticed that the original link in this thread is for Premium and the link on the Ultimate Steal site is for Professional, but both are from Digital River and both are $30.

http://www.microsoft.com/student/discounts/theultimatesteal-us/default.aspx

YOU CAN INSTALL USING ANOTHER ISO (MSDN, Technet, your mom's copy, whatever). Once you're all done, go to System properties and scroll down to Windows activation. Click "Change product key" and enter the one Digital River sent you.

Voila... that's it.

<--Tested about 2 hours ago on my home system

QFT. Thats how I installed my copy. I used my MSDN .iso and input the key digital river sent me via email :)

QFT. Thats how I installed my copy. I used my MSDN .iso and input the key digital river sent me via email :)

I did basically the same. You can use any acquired Win7 software (have to match the version you purchased) then you can skip entering a key in the beginning and enter it later to activate. Easy as warm apple pie.

I burned the DigitalRiver files to and ISO (thanks for the instructions guys) and had no problem doing a "custom" installation. The files that are downloaded were the full version and not an upgrade disk for me.

Having it on my first SSD (Intel G2) is amazingly fast.

I wish that would have worked for me. I ended up calling Microsoft and using their direct student promotion for $29. I was able to use the key they sent me to activate my Windows 7 Pro that I installed with the MSDN .ISO. I guess now I'll use the digitalriver key to upgrade my wife's laptop from Vista to Windows 7.

One thing I noticed on my email from digitalriver, it clearly says Windows 7 Upgrade CD Key. I'm wondering if some people got upgrade only keys while others got full keys?

there was a link provided earlier using "ocsdimg" to make ISO disk out of it..

and yes, it did work for me.. I just did a clean install with no previous OS install and the key does work without a problem (activated of course) :D

its indeed a full retail key, but that installation just nuts..hopefully that ain't the disk I ordered ....

I did this same thing on my desktop, except the key was not accepted during clean install (on a bare drive, no other drives or OS present), so I entered blank to get 30 day trial. Within windows I tried to add key and activate. Microsoft popup came back saying key was for upgrade only.

Then I inserted the oscdimg DVD again and did an upgrade from within windows. It took the key. Then went to activate and it activated successfully.

As a test, I performed the install on my laptop and overwrote an install of Win 7 RC using custom install (from boot) and it too took the key. So this proves that RC (and maybe others) are valid 'exisitng OS' for upgrade. I could have probably done that instead of from within windows for the desktop as well. The custom install method is what MS suggests for Windows XP so it has to be checking for upgradeable OS version.

Bottom line - my digitalriver Home Premium key is upgrade only.

Last edited:
ocsdimg is not working for me. i tried putting all the files involved in system32 directory, i either get access denied message or cannot find path specified. also, expaneded setup folder is stuck with Read-only...even after i uncheck it , it checks it again by itself. not sure if this is why i cant do it or not?

ocsdimg is not working for me. i tried putting all the files involved in system32 directory, i either get access denied message or cannot find path specified. also, expaneded setup folder is stuck with Read-only...even after i uncheck it , it checks it again by itself. not sure if this is why i cant do it or not?

Same here, I put the expandedSetup directory in the root of C:\ and it worked instantly.

try this link

it suggests:

oscdimg.exe &#8211;bC:\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.com &#8211;u2 &#8211;h -m -lWIN_EN_DVD C:\expandedSetup\ C:\Win7.iso

So the DR file is MORE THAN likely UPGRADE only unlike so many would have us believe. I'll probably wait for a website to drop a deal near black friday for Win 7 RTM < $75 = no headache in buying a product that may not work.

Hey, you guys have a key, plenty of way of getting a disc. Digital river or what ever has always been a pain in the ars.

honestly, it took me under 10 minutes to make an iso using the directions on the seven forums.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I ended up making 3 different boot disks (thinking that write speed was the issue) with the digital river files using the same method each time. I finally gave up after it was just hanging there and decided to go take a shower. I came back probably 15-20 mins later it was loading and the install finally went through. Also made the boot disks through 32-bit xpPro with the unloading error and everything seems to be working fine. Has been stable for about 12 hours now. I guess if anyone else has a hanging boot disk just let it sit there lol and it will eventually go through if you followed the sevenforums instructions .

Prolly know this by now but, we bought one copy last night to see how it went, and everything went good. I guess this is the FULL version, my brother said he didnt even have to verify anything on the old XP to get it to install. Full version windows 7 pro for $30. Pretty nice.

I just made an iso out of my .edu download. I took that and installed it on a fresh hdd, used my key, activated, and am typing from it right now.

I got emails for both my purchases with key and dl info. But I check my CC and didnt notice a bill.

Do I get billed after I activate it?

I got emails for both my purchases with key and dl info. But I check my CC and didnt notice a bill.

Do I get billed after I activate it?

Well, charges dont usually get shown for a few days, at least on my creditcards... It usually takes a few to show up...But ya it said they charge you as soon as emails are sent out.

Okay so after i wanted to murder somone i had same issues but i fixed it.

right click the folder and copy and paste over the the one list below

oscdimg -u2 -b"C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Desktop\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.com" -h "C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Desktop\expandedSetup" C:\7.iso

i compared them and they seemed the same but i copied the location over
oscdimg -u2 -b"C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Desktop and it fixed it

FYI, this is worked for me.

Obtained a Win7 Pro x64 iso

Burned iso to a DVD.

Disconnected all drives except primary.

Deleted existing partition, then created a new one.

Did not enter key during install

Entered key after getting to desktop

OS is activated, no issues to report.

I'm going to install Win7 on my laptop tonight, I'm confident that I won't have any problems using this method.

Feel free to ask me questions.

Last edited:
Okay so after i wanted to murder somone i had same issues but i fixed it.

right click the folder and copy and paste over the the one list below

oscdimg -u2 -b"C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Desktop\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.com" -h "C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Desktop\expandedSetup" C:\7.iso

i compared them and they seemed the same but i copied the location over
oscdimg -u2 -b"C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Desktop and it fixed it

thanks for trying to help. but i dont understand what "right click the folder and copy and paste over the the one list below " means..

Honestly, it's a non issue for me. It was simple to convert it into an ISO

Yeah, I just copied the command line from the seven forums, pasted it in notepad and changed the username, then recopied and pasted. The most time consuming thing was waiting for the DVD since I usually burn stuff like this at 2x.

thanks for trying to help. but i dont understand what "right click the folder and copy and paste over the the one list below " means..

haha sorry wasnt really paying attention well typing. I am now on Windows 7 after having same issues. So right click on the folder "expandedsetup" and copy the directory of that file and replace it how i said in the above post.

Anyone having product key issue? i installed win7 pro 64bit from the version purchased via DigitalRiver but it seems like the product key assigned to me is no good? It keeps saying invalid key and i made sure it was typed correctly >=(

Anyone having product key issue? i installed win7 pro 64bit from the version purchased via DigitalRiver but it seems like the product key assigned to me is no good? It keeps saying invalid key and i made sure it was typed correctly >=(

I had same issue. What i did was i clicked on Format drive and thats when it gave me an error. So i had to reinstall XP, then i re-installed Windows 7, click custom install, then just clicked next and it worked. You cant format the drive.

Back