Windows 7 Home Premium $29.99 for students

Just got my email. Copy and pasted into the box and activated windows flawlessly.

For those who didn't think you could do a fresh install. (I know someone else posted it earlier in the thread, but its reiterated again in the liner notes.

I am downloading at 1.5MB/sec and I will install my SSD tomorrow and start Windows 7 on that. Should be fun.

I see what they say in the liner notes and on their website BUT if the install file is not an ISO how are you supposed to install it? The instructions clearly say click the EXE file to start install which means an OS needs to be present...

Once the EXE is launched it may give you the option to do a clean install BUT it does require you to have an OS in the first place.

I see what they say in the liner notes and on their website BUT if the install file is not an ISO how are you supposed to install it? The instructions clearly say click the EXE file to start install which means an OS needs to be present...

Once the EXE is launched it may give you the option to do a clean install BUT it does require you to have an OS in the first place.

Yeah, I am wondering the same thing.

Jesus. We'll all find out very soon. :rolleyes:

All Windows installs always have an exe file to start the process. This is probably just a version without the boot option until you make it when you burn your own copy.

Ok I did some more digging around and found this link

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Installing-and-reinstalling-Windows

which states

In some countries or regions, if you purchase and download Windows 7 online from the Microsoft Store, you can download a tool from Microsoft that transfers the Windows installation file to a USB flash drive and makes the flash drive bootable. For more information about the options available in your country or region, go online to the Microsoft Store.

Now when you go to the store there is no link, that I can find at least, that does what they claim above. arghhh. 6 mins left for DL to complete and I'll find out.

maybe I posted too soon, the information for the USB tool only mentions that it puts the ISO file on a bootable USB or DVD disc, nothing about the compressed files.

My download completed, the exe file is a decompressor and it is currently decompressing the 3.3GB files (Win7-P-Retail-en-us-x64.exe, setup1.box, setup2.box) into a folder called "expandedSetup"

maybe I posted too soon, the information for the USB tool only mentions that it puts the ISO file on a bootable USB or DVD disc, nothing about the compressed files.

My download completed, the exe file is a decompressor and it is currently decompressing the 3.3GB files (Win7-P-Retail-en-us-x64.exe, setup1.box, setup2.box) into a folder called "expandedSetup"

Same here.

Will know soon.

I downloaded onto my laptop thinking I would be burning an iso......this thing won't even take 64 bit so..............

running a fresh install right now! I previously had win7 beta on its own partition, did a "custom" install, chose the windows7 partition, and did a perfect fresh install (except for the windows.old folder, which I easily deleted). Never asked to see windows xp or vista or any other version.

Everything is working great :-D :-D

By the looks of the files in the expanded setup, that could simply be the disc's contents without it being packaged as an iso. I may try making a bootable disc with nero and those files as the contents, but I've got no graphics card for the computer I want to install it on at the moment so I can't offer any certainty that this would work.

EDIT: Contacted their support through the online form, hopefully they can get back to me before I finish the build.

Last edited:
ajacy, so when you uncompress the downloaded files, was there an option to build an ISO file?

I have it on my secondary hard drive installing a custom installation on my main hard drive (not upgrade). It says all my old files will be stored in a folder called windows.old, but my old OS will not work anymore after installation.

OK for like the third time in a row I have gotten this message.

"We are unable to create or save new files in the folder in which this application was downloaded. Please check the folder properties to make sure that you have security permission on the folder to write files and that the folder is not read-only."

I've done all that........third time in a row. I'm going to try moving them to a new folder I guess.

craps!

have to wait for a work around to turn this thing into na ISO.

I wonder if just burning all the files from the expanded setup will work.

lets see....

all I did was run the main setup.exe file, I didn't attempt to make an ISO or CD backup or anything of that nature. I will figure it out in the next few days, but no I did not have any option to make one during the setup. I just did a clean install and i'll make a cd backup later once you nerds figure it out ;)

off to bed, gotta go to work soon... bleh.

I wish I could seed the modified 32 & 64-bit iso's that let you pick which edition to install. Unfortunately I'm on wireless with 150 KB/s upload. :(

If you look at the link back a few pages ( Make the official MSDN Windows 7 ISO ), you will see the checksums for all of the msdn iso's. You could try to download the iso elsewhere and verify the checksum.

Im getting the same error wrangler!!

I went into the decompressed files folder and dbl clicked setup.exe, it's giving an error saying

The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows youre running. Check your computers system information....whether you need an x86 or x64 version.....

Im running vista 32 bit at the moment....and I bought the 64bit version of win7...damnit!

I was able to install it from my secondary HDD to my primary HDD (while Vista was installed) using custom installation. I thought I broke my computer at first because after the first reboot it was stuck and the detecing drives screen, but after it rebooted from that it saw the windows installation drive and continued. This happened about 3-4 times, and voila, I have a clean installed Windows 7 professional without using a booting device.

Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:
Dang now I have to go to work and wait. Still downloading at this point. Should have a fresh install of windows 7 buy later this afternoon.

ok i was able to make myself a bootable dvd

1. install ultraiso
2. launch ultraiso and extract the boot image from a win7 dvd, you can use the RTM iso or a beta version. See the help section in ultraiso on how to do this.
3. From the file menu in ultraiso select a new bootable dvd/cd option.
4. Select the boot image file from step 2
5. add the extracted files from expandedSetup to the compilation
6. go to properties (see http://dail-bg.com/images/other/uiso_error/properties.gif) and select UDF, and windows/unix31 and Extended under the Joliet options
7. Go to file menu and press save..save as an iso
8. burn to dvd and boot from it.

going to bed now...

wow, that was easy.. is selected run file when download complete and woke up this morning to a new OS on my pc.. Nice!

hmm... no email for me yet, so no SKU. But I just went to the site and logged in and am now Downloading the exe @ 2.8MB/sec ... thank you FIOS.

ok i was able to make myself a bootable dvd

1. install ultraiso
2. launch ultraiso and extract the boot image from a win7 dvd, you can use the RTM iso or a beta version. See the help section in ultraiso on how to do this.
3. From the file menu in ultraiso select a new bootable dvd/cd option.
4. Select the boot image file from step 2
5. add the extracted files from expandedSetup to the compilation
6. go to properties (see http://dail-bg.com/images/other/uiso_error/properties.gif) and select UDF, and windows/unix31 and Extended under the Joliet options
7. Go to file menu and press save..save as an iso
8. burn to dvd and boot from it.

going to bed now...

Trial version cannot save above 300MB. I'm not paying another dime for this piece of shit.

Anybody got another way or know wtf is going on.

I have a full retail copy of Win 7 Professional I got from school, maybe I can use that to install and use the key I got from Digital River. I hope so or these people stole $29 dollars from me.

Looks like I found a solution..

check it.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/index.cfm?action=showthread&threadid=368043&forumid=1

Download the MS tool Oscdimg from click here . It's an exe, and will need to be extracted. I have done this just now, so let's not all assume it's a dangerous file, please!

I'd suggest putting the Digital River files, and this file, in a folder on the root of the hard disk for ease, just call it XXX, say

Run a command prompt, then enter

Oscdimg.exe -u2 -bC:\ XXX>\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.com -h C:\ XXX>\expandedSetup C:\ XXX>\Win7.iso

Looks like I found a solution..

check it.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/index.cfm?action=showthread&threadid=368043&forumid=1

Download the MS tool Oscdimg from click here . It's an exe, and will need to be extracted. I have done this just now, so let's not all assume it's a dangerous file, please!

I'd suggest putting the Digital River files, and this file, in a folder on the root of the hard disk for ease, just call it XXX, say

Run a command prompt, then enter

Oscdimg.exe -u2 -bC:\ XXX>\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.com -h C:\ XXX>\expandedSetup C:\ XXX>\Win7.iso

you can also try the instructions here:

http://www.betaarchive.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&p=105708

Last edited:
Back