Windows 7 Home Premium $29.99 for students

So how do we get windows 7 for cheap if we aren't students? Or are we stuck dropping $120?

I wonder if the keys are different for the upgrade copies. Cause I dont want to install vista just to reinstall 7.

Marry one, it's worked out great so far for me :p

Ha. I keep forgetting this applies to all students not just Computer Science. My fiance is in grad school atm. Could she sign up for ACM and get the MSDNAA even though she doesn't have a computer related major?

Most universities sell discounted software themselves.

She doesn't need to sign up for ACM to get this deal.

so anyone know how this thing actually work?
if it works for clean install, then I will buy one. if not then too bad...

I emailed them and said I wanted to cancel if it was just the upgrade version. I got this back in reply. Still sort of worrisome but atleast I have grounds to ask for a refund if it isn't.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting the Windows 7 Offer online store.

We apologize for the confusion.

The Windows 7 offered in this promotion is a full version. You can
install this product even though you do not have a previous Operating
System installed in your computer or if you want to make a multi boot
using Windows 7. The "Upgrade" included in the product name is just
because Windows 7 is the latest Operating System Windows developed.

Please reply for further inquiries.

Sincerely,
Joanna A.
Windows 7 Offer online store
Customer Service
[email protected]

Ha. I keep forgetting this applies to all students not just Computer Science. My fiance is in grad school atm. Could she sign up for ACM and get the MSDNAA even though she doesn't have a computer related major?
All of the schools I've been to have worked that way. MSDNAA to CS Students, the rest get nothing unless they sign up with ACM.

Last edited:
Ok, so what happens if you choose 32-bit then want 64-bit in a year. Will Microsoft send you a x64 key and disc? Or does the same key work across both 32-bit and 64-bit? I remember doing something like this for Vista, but that was when it was first launched and I forgot how it worked.

Ok, so what happens if you choose 32-bit then want 64-bit in a year. Will Microsoft send you a x64 key and disc? Or does the same key work across both 32-bit and 64-bit? I remember doing something like this for Vista, but that was when it was first launched and I forgot how it worked.

Works the same as Vista. The key will work on both, so as long as you have the dvd for it. Additionally, any 64-bit dvd can be used to install any 64-bit edition of Windows 7; or any 32-bit edition with the 32-bit dvd. I usually keep one copy of 32-bit and one copy of 64-bit, and back up the iso's of both incase any friends need to reinstall their OS.

You can usually purchase backup media for cheap (about $15 iirc), which contains only the 32-bit or 64-bit dvd.

Edit: I was mistaken of being able to install any Edition off of the dvd like you can in Vista. However it is an easy fix. See post: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1034784132#post1034784132

Last edited:
I emailed them and said I wanted to cancel if it was just the upgrade version. I got this back in reply. Still sort of worrisome but atleast I have grounds to ask for a refund if it isn't.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting the Windows 7 Offer online store.

We apologize for the confusion.

The Windows 7 offered in this promotion is a full version. You can
install this product even though you do not have a previous Operating
System installed in your computer or if you want to make a multi boot
using Windows 7. The "Upgrade" included in the product name is just
because Windows 7 is the latest Operating System Windows developed.

Please reply for further inquiries.

Sincerely,
Joanna A.
Windows 7 Offer online store
Customer Service
[email protected]

ok....now its time for me to order some of the hot sauce .... :p

Can you pre order more than one copy?

not sure. I did, but don't have the keys yet so who knows if it will actually go through.

first I ordered home and then realized that you can get pro for the same price, so I did another order of pro (with the backup disc) and it seems to have worked fine. we shall see :)

not sure. I did, but don't have the keys yet so who knows if it will actually go through.

first I ordered home and then realized that you can get pro for the same price, so I did another order of pro (with the backup disc) and it seems to have worked fine. we shall see :)

Woah, how did you get pro for the same price?

Evidently it let me order both a 32 bit (for my sis's Dell Mini) and a 64 bit version. I'm trying for Professional now! :)

I don't understand why they offer 32bit and 64bit options if this is the full edition. The full edition has both the 32bit and the 64bit disc.

I don't understand why they offer 32bit and 64bit options if this is the full edition. The full edition has both the 32bit and the 64bit disc.

Because this is a download version. :rolleyes:
You can order a disc for $13 more and get both 32/64 bit.... because you ordered the disc version.

Ahh crap, I signed up weeks ago, and it seems just now my university closed my account since I graduated some time ago. I bought the Pro and the backup DVD. I know that they will email you the product key, but does anyone know if the backup DVD will have the product key? Has anyone received backup DVD's from them before and had the product key on them?

I hope there servers can handle the load of everyone downloading Windows 7 on the 22nd.

Ahh crap, I signed up weeks ago, and it seems just now my university closed my account since I graduated some time ago. I bought the Pro and the backup DVD. I know that they will email you the product key, but does anyone know if the backup DVD will have the product key? Has anyone received backup DVD's from them before and had the product key on them?

You can look it up here for 30 days after Oct22 as long as you have your school email address or order number:
https://windows7.digitalriver.com/D...InformationPage&SiteID=mswpus&Locale=en_US#q4

Why are people even bothering buying the disks? Why don't they just burn it on DVD themselves? Or save it to a backup HDD? Other than having both 32-bit and 64-bit, is there any advantage?

Why are people even bothering buying the disks? Why don't they just burn it on DVD themselves? Or save it to a backup HDD? Other than having both 32-bit and 64-bit, is there any advantage?

why not? :D I can't speak for everyone, but I prefer having physical retail copies of my software (with the exception of steam games and such). For a few extra dollars, it's worth it

hmm, i guess I am all about spending as little as I can. Ha. I have tendency to backup things up digitally anyway, since physical discs can easily misplace themselves. For example, I lost my 32-bit disc of Vista, but have a 64-bit version. So I had to reinstall with 64-bit.

lol yeah I hear ya on that. I'm usually the same, but like I said... it was only a few extra dollars so it's not a big deal :)

guys,

Can this version of Windows, obtained via Student pricing, be used to install on a brand new computer or am I going to have to install windows xp or vista on it first?

Thanks

guys,

Can this version of Windows, obtained via Student pricing, be used to install on a brand new computer or am I going to have to install windows xp or vista on it first?

Thanks

no need, someone already have a reply from official said its a full retail copy.

going to buy mine friday when i get paid and find out how things go from some of you that should already have it downloaded. :p My only question is that I have vista ultimate 64bit. Now I do some gaming and surfing. Is it worth getting pro or will the regular version work for me? 64bit of course.

Back