Windows 7 good or bad

Should i upgrade??

• Yes ofcourse

Votes: 325 97.9%
  • No it has many errors still stick with vista

Votes: 7 2.1%

• Total voters
i heard that windows 7 is realy nice windows its faster than vista
but on other had i read many topic over web related bugs in win7 and so many errors kinda prob
so do reply in this topic if u suing win7
that should i upgrade to it or not
its not that its new i upgrade to it
wht matters is ,
is it good,
does all usualy required softwares and other stuff works on it properly without error

Win7 feels no faster than Vista on any system I've put it on. YMMV.
I've had zero errors. Anything that worked in Vista, works fine in 7. It's basically a service pack to Vista, things tweaked and upgraded here and there but at it's roots it's basically Vista. So if Vista works fine for you, 7 will be no problem.

Vista is fine, use wiki or google to see if there's really any reason for you to upgrade. Vista is still a perfectly fine OS. I primarily upgraded for the improved backup features and the new library feature. The new UI/taskbar is nice as well.

Win7 flies on everything I've put it on except for an older laptop with.. Athlon T-Bird era ..lol

I never had troubles with Vista .. 7 does "feel" faster

so u both guys are in favor of 7
but

as u said
Vista is fine, use wiki or google to see if there's really any reason for you to upgrade. Vista is still a perfectly fine OS. I primarily upgraded for the improved backup features and the new library feature. The new UI/taskbar is nice as well.

actualy their isnt a specific reason m thinking to upgrade
i am just thinking to upgrade becuase its new thing and i heard its lot secure atm
like from viruses moreover i heard that it got better features
so i was thinking to get it
but than i read many error kinda posts of win7 and thought to ask users of win7 do all hav those probs
or its prob for specific people only

but

as u said

actualy their isnt a specific reason m thinking to upgrade
i am just thinking to upgrade becuase its new thing and i heard its lot secure atm
like from viruses moreover i heard that it got better features
so i was thinking to get it
but than i read many error kinda posts of win7 and thought to ask users of win7 do all hav those probs
Equally secure. You run both with Windows Firewall, max UAC, a good AV program, and Firefox with Adblock and maybe noscript. The same can be said for even XP.

As far as kernel/OS specific patches and support, Vista is still very much supported and getting security updates. Until those stop, Vista should be on at least equal footing with 7. And it will be a long while before those stop.

It does have some better features. Like I mentioned I like the upgraded backup and libraries features. But some things are stripped down, a lot of built in tools were removed. You have to install the Windows Live package. I don't use it personally, but I've heard the replacement for Windows Movie Maker and other things are not as full featured. *shrug* I don't use them.

People are only going to come on here and generally make posts when they have questions or problems. People with working systems have better things to do with their time than post, "hey guys my system works fine." All your seeing are the vocal minority, the rare cases. This is largely the case with all software/hardware though. Forums tend to give a general negative spin of products.

I ran Vista and loved it, I'm now running 7 and love it a bit more. 7 isn't any more secure than Vista was, they're pretty much on equal footing there.

Windows 7 driver database is even larger than Vista's was which is a good thing. Overall 7 "feels" faster than Vista and has some nice features like Libraries and depending on the version automated backup etc... For me, the driver compatability wizard, the fact that all the audio / video codecs you need are already built into 7, sticky notes, the ability to place a desktop gadget wherever I want etc are just icing on the cake.

Pretty much everyone on here, aside from BallerX, are in favor of Windows 7...and many of us ran Vista for three years and had no issues with it. I can tell you had issues to work through when Vista was released, but Windows 7's release has been FAR better.
You won't find many people taking the time to start a thread because they had no issues. I post on some BMW forums, and if you didn't know any better, and only read those forums, you'd think BMWs were as unreliable as Kias.

I run Win 7 on 2 computers, (1 tower, 1 laptop), and when i rebuild my wife's she will have it too.
The laptop is about 2.5 years old or whatever and has really no issues. Other than its an hp :(
i game with my tower all of the time and have very very few issues. What will you be doing with it?
I personally hate Vista. Have since it came with this laptop. I have none of the same issues as i did with Vista anymore. It is still on my wife's laptop, because she won't let me upgrade it yet. There are really no reasons to not upgrade.
Both computers have done dvd ripping, picture conversion, adobe stuff, and just regular daily work.
Haven't had a BSOD yet....kinda weird really i guess

see someone said 7 keep geting better as update version
hmm i will hav legal 7 with genuine key so it wont be a prob i will even hav latest build
so it means 7 is better

Any product will get better as it is updated. The point you are missing is that Windows 7 is already the best Windows OS ever made. If you obtained your Windows 7 from a legit source, then you have the final/latest build. Once you install it, run Windows Update, and you'll be fine...same as any other version of Windows.

I personally had no problems with Vista but I like 7 just fine. There are a few cosmetic things I don't like but overall as an OS I have had no issues.

DTS is not supported in Windows 7

FUCKING FAIL

It's not that huge of a deal for most as we just use pass through to the receiver. The issue there is of course now you don't have volume control in Windows anymore but my z5500s like any receiver has a remote so not a huge deal, two remotes until you set up a universal.

And there are 3rd party codes that will let you do it Windows I believe that are free. Not always the easiset things to setup, I've never had to mess with them much really anymore with Windows 7.

This thread can only go downhill. Its' closure is inevitable.

And Windows 7 isn't good. It's damn awesome. It's the best Windows OS to date.

Been using Win 7 since beta days and have been great.
I used Vista for about 6 months before that (SP1->SP2), even though it was great, I had no reason to go back.

I am another one for Vista is no diff then 7 on modern hardware.

what made me switch is MS not fixing the folder view bug where folder views dont stick and the infamous "local only access" problem with network cards.

LOL just install MPC-hc it works fine with DTS. Crisis averted? After using Xp for so long some things about it still make me rage. For the most part, it's a direct upgrade, unless your system is just too slow to cope.

I'm gonna make a post that's a little more precise..

Computer users: good or bad?

most Blu-ray .mkv files are all DTS

You can play DTS from .MKV just fine, shark007 win 7 codecs allow this. They also recently added DTS support for other types like .TS/.M2TS. Just get those and you should be fine, I prefer MPC-HC + haali splitter though. With the haali renderering in mpc-hc, blu-ray .mkvs seem smoother.

DTS is not supported in Windows 7

FUCKING FAIL

Please elaborate, I havent come across this at all.
Is it using particular video types, different soundcards?
Do you mean DTS encoding by the soundcard or DTS playback of encoded video?

ok guys thans for good result
hmm i will be switching to 7 as soon as i complete its .iso download

Last edited:
LOL just install MPC-hc it works fine with DTS. Crisis averted? After using Xp for so long some things about it still make me rage. For the most part, it's a direct upgrade, unless your system is just too slow to cope.

Are you guys talking about distributed transaction services or Dolby DTS? In whichever case, why would w7 not support it?

(i'm *just* getting into w7 since my work is partly moving that way).

In whichever case, why would w7 not support it?
Because Vista completely changed the way audio was handled in Windows, and despite having ample time to prepare, many of the audio chip vendors *cough* Creative *cough* dropped the ball in being ready for Vista, or ever properly supporting the newer methods.

Microsoft apparently was pressured heavily into using protected audio paths, HDCP for high def content, etc and many of the hardware vendors just didn't get their drivers and apps ready in time.

I know very little about the details, so someone else will have to fill them in, but certain methods of audio playback have been greatly affected since that point (Vista's release). Most people are unaffected, but some are not happy with the changes at all.

True.
HDCP protected video with protected audio streams that require a Protected Audio Path are only (as far as I know) found on High Definition audio channels on Blu Ray movie disks.
The Blu Ray player detects if HDCP has been complied with and that a Protected Audio Path (PAP) is present.
If either is missing, high definition audio is downsampled so it is low enough bandwidth to fit down optical/SPDIF.
Also you need a modern player version otherwise it will be downsampled regardless.

** mista ting
DTS is not a high definition transport so is not affected if there is no PAP.
DTS works fine in Windows 7 as Pass through audio, can be decoded in Windows 7 and passed out as analogue or re-encoded to DTS (or whatever you wish) if your soundcard supports it.
Windows 7 doesnt need to support DTS natively, neither does any other OS.

View Poll Results: Should i upgrade??
Yes ofcourse 98 100.00%
No it has many errors still stick with vista 0 0%

Ok thats pretty impressive. :D

True.
HDCP protected video with protected audio streams that require a Protected Audio Path are only (as far as I know) found on High Definition audio channels on Blu Ray movie disks.
The Blu Ray player detects if HDCP has been complied with and that a Protected Audio Path (PAP) is present.
If either is missing, high definition audio is downsampled so it is low enough bandwidth to fit down optical/SPDIF.
Also you need a modern player version otherwise it will be downsampled regardless.

** mista ting
DTS is not a high definition transport so is not affected if there is no PAP.
DTS works fine in Windows 7 as Pass through audio, can be decoded in Windows 7 and passed out as analogue or re-encoded to DTS (or whatever you wish) if your soundcard supports it.
Windows 7 doesnt need to support DTS natively, neither does any other OS.

So...it's not really DTS at all, it's just about HDCP device restrictions. Obviously the right codecs will let you play DTS on unprotected material. Is the downsampling acceptable, or is it something ridiculous like the 480i/p downsampling?

Is the downsampling acceptable, or is it something ridiculous like the 480i/p downsampling?
It is downsampled to 16 bit 48KHz, so CD quality, low enough to fit 5.1 channels down optical/SPDIF.

7 rules, the number of little UI enhancements that make the user experience better/faster/more intuitive are numerous. Been using the RC for 7-8ish months and have no problems, haven't even installed the RTM onto that system as it has no problems. Got 7 running on two works systems, both super solid, no compatibility issues.

Back