Windows 7 file transfer speeds

TheResidentEvil

[H]ard|Gawd
I am having an issue with the dialog that pops up and shows how fast your files are transferring. It doesn't really give me any good indication of anything. As soon as I start a transfer, it just shoots up to 50% done and its then hardly ever updates. It seems like its freezing and starting, freezing and starting but it does go. I have tried it with 2 different drives and it seems to be only over USB.

Anyone have any ideas what the issue could be? USB issue? i have tried 2 different ports, usb2 and usb3. same issue on all of them .

It's MS's way of telling you that you need to upgrade to Server in order to get accurate feedback of file transfer info.

Anyone have any ideas what the issue could be? USB issue? i have tried 2 different ports, usb2 and usb3. same issue on all of them .
You can disable write caching if you want "smooth" progress, if the issue is with the waiting for the drive to finish the prior transfer to begin the next. http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/10392-write-caching-enable-disable.html

What the status bar shows really depends what you're copying (it's not a linear progress bar of MB to transfer... "lopsided" folders containing many/few or large/small files can affect how the progress bar is updated), and disabling write caching shouldn't change how long it actually takes to complete the transfer.

Back