Windows 7 family UPGRADE pack (3 copies) $100 home premium

can't join a domain = worthless

My mom's, sisters, two kids, brothers, wife's and my computer are suffering horrible because of this. We are unable to, hmmmm, ummmm, shit, I can't think of anything we can't do with Windows Home Premium. I guess we can't join a domain, though.

$33 a copy for this versus $150 for Window 7 Pro is hardly comparable and I'd say for 85% of people, Home Premium is just fine.

I have used it on 4 of my 6 home computers without problems on my HOME network. It's good deal.

can't join a domain = worthless

So you have to join a workgroup instead of a domain... what a task. Better to go out and spend hundreds more so home users can join a domain. Well.. they will have to create and administer one first. But well worth the hundreds of dollars more and extra effort to be on a domain because it has sooo many advantages over a simple workgroup. /sarcasm.

Good catch OP. ;)

I'm considering purchasing this to upgrade my Windows Vista laptop to Windows 7.

If I want to use one of the extra keys to do a clean install of Windows 7 Home on a brand new computer build, would it be possible without proof of a previous license of Vista or XP?

I'm considering purchasing this to upgrade my Windows Vista laptop to Windows 7.

If I want to use one of the extra keys to do a clean install of Windows 7 Home on a brand new computer build, would it be possible without proof of a previous license of Vista or XP?

Yes. You have to use a simple registry tweak to activate with a clean install.

Also can't backup over the network with home like you can with pro. That is using windows built in backup tool.

Great deal, bought this last year and used it on 3 home pc's. Only downfall I found is the RDP stuff otherwise not a big deal, good price.

Thanks OP. Upgrading my sons PCs and I was waiting for this deal to come up again!

I even used Kyle's referral link at the top of the page!

Anyone want to split this deal somehow? I was just about to buy the student upgrade for my brother in law, but that's up to $65 now. I'd rather get this for about $35 if someone wants the other 2. I don't need a disc, just the key.

Yes. You have to use a simple registry tweak to activate with a clean install.

Much easier to install the upgrade disk and NOT enter the serial when asked, then from desktop hit the window button (start menu) right click Computer, click properties, scroll down to activation and enter the serial there. No registry hacks needed.

Much easier to install the upgrade disk and NOT enter the serial when asked, then from desktop hit the window button (start menu) right click Computer, click properties, scroll down to activation and enter the serial there. No registry hacks needed.

You enter the windows 25 digit key only when you are ready to activate, and it doesn't always activate without using rearm, even if you didn't enter the activation key during the install. I know because I've tried and I had to use the registry tweak both times, and the key was left blank both times during install. Some people have reported that it activated without using the rearm, so your mileage may vary.

I have two of these 3 packs and I can tell you that they do work just fine using a clean install.. The only time I had a hiccup was when I swapped out my video card and also took out a non-functioning sound card. Windows bugged out because of the hardware changes and I had to call some guy in India to reactivate. Took maybe 20 minutes to complete but I was still able to keep everything that I had on my PC.

Tip: If you HAVE to call the 800 number for activation just keep saying " I want to talk to a person ". If you say that or any other thing except what the MS computer on the other end wants to hear it will eventually connect you to a real live person..... :)

If any of you guys are in IT check with your school too. My wife's tech school through microsoft recently gave everyone 2 years of free licenses for all primary products; office 2007, windows 7, server 2008, ad, exchange etc.

If any of you guys are in IT check with your school too. My wife's tech school through microsoft recently gave everyone 2 years of free licenses for all primary products; office 2007, windows 7, server 2008, ad, exchange etc.
What's this "ad" product you speak of? :p

Does anyone have one of these licenses available for sale? I have a machine that I want to upgrade and would like to purchase one if it is available.

HoosierDad

You do not get 3 separate keys so someone would have to be ignorant or very trusting / niave to give their key to a stranger on a forum.

Plus technically it probably not be acceptable on H to ask for this.

Yep just one key, it is pretty smart M$ keeps people honest by playing off their distrust of others =]

yeah, I suppose it's smart for Microsoft to keep the key under lock down. If only this was pro or ultimate I might jump on it, but home lacks too many features for my needs.

With Windows Vista, you could get away with entering the upgrade key later. With Windows 7, either install without a key, then insert disc and install 7 over top your new 7, or do a registry tweak.

Thanks for the info. I didn't understand that it was one key for up to three computers in one household.

I am in the software licensing business and one of the last things I want to do is break software licensing rules as I don't think my employer would like it if I got caught pirating software at home.

HoosierDad

Back