Windows 7 downloads (for .edu) are up

Can anyone tell me how to run nlite properly to burn a bootable ISO of the 64 bit install? It doesn't seem to recognize the folders with the new windows install files or the xp install I have.

I believe you have to use vLite, not nLite -- made by the same company, but vLite is for Vista (and works with 7), where nLite is the 2000/xp/2003 one.

MSDNAA and the .edu email promo are two different promotions. What I am talking about when I made this thread is a promotion that lets valid students (those that have a school email address ending in .edu, currently enrolled for at least half time classes - might be full time) purchase Windows 7 for 29.99 as a digital download. Through these means, you get a totally different file that you have to convert to an ISO.
Ah, OK. Gottcha.

Thanks, burning my disk now.

Does the student upgrade version allow you to move the key from 1 computer to another? I would like to run it now, but I also plan to upgrade next month.

I'd like to know this too.

Making a bootable dvd isn't really working for me. Can I just borrow my friend's 7 Home Premium 64bit disk and install using that, and then just enter my own cd key? That seems like it would be the easiest way.

Making a bootable dvd isn't really working for me. Can I just borrow my friend's 7 Home Premium 64bit disk and install using that, and then just enter my own cd key? That seems like it would be the easiest way.

That would work, but why bother with bootable CD if flash drive method is faster anyway?

I bought my digital download version of W7 over the phone with the .edu deal. I read that if you choose the DVD version, they send you both the 32bit version and the 64bit version. However with the download, you have to chose which version to download. If I download the 64bit version and install, but my professional apps wont run, can I go back and chose the 32bit version instead... or will my account be somehow locked to the 64bit version?

Also, should I chose to download the ISO copy? If so, what do I use to burn it with?

I just made an iso out of my .edu download. I took that and installed it on a fresh hdd, used my key, activated, and am typing from it right now.

With the Windows Office 2007 Ultimate deal you are allowed to put it on one computer and one laptop.... is it the same for this Windows 7 edu edition?

With the Windows Office 2007 Ultimate deal you are allowed to put it on one computer and one laptop.... is it the same for this Windows 7 edu edition?

One PC per key is what the EULA states.

I used their(sevenforums) instructions last night, made my iso, and installed today from RC 7100, did a clean install, and it worked great.

I used the seven forums instructions as well. Heres some details:

Used instructions to make bootable ISO.
Ghosted my PC using Norton Ghost 14 (30 day trial)
Booted using Win 7 install CD.

At this point, I said to do a custom install, and it told me that it would rename my current Windows install to Windows.Old and install the new OS. I didn't like this, so I chose to Format my HD prior to the install. I formatted the drive, and installed windows.

When it asked for the CD-Key, it failed, probably because it was an upgrade key, and I had formatted my drive. I left the CD-Key blank, and continued into Windows.

Once windows finished installing, I booted off the Windows 7 CD again, and chose Custom again (not upgrade). This time, I let it do the Windows.OLD Rename thing. When the install was done, it allowed me to use my Windows 7 Upgrade CD-Key.

Confirmed: The old Vista trick where you Install the OS, don't activate it,then use the same OS to do an upgrade still works!

I activated my CD-Key through the windows activation, and it succeeded. I then deleted (through explorer) the Windows.OLD folder.

PC is running like a charm :).

Now, I'm using the VMWare Converter to convert my Ghost Image to a VMWare Virtual Machine. I've downloaded and installed the Free VMWare Player to load it up once the convert is done :). I'll update this post once thats finished.

Edit: Heres a screenshot of my Desktop, running my old Windows XP Machine in a VMWare Player Virtual (Hiding Desktop Icons in the VM For a purtier picture):

Last edited:
Yea, I was a little annoyed about it, but in the end, I got a legal version of Win 7 Pro for $30. The extra 20 minutes doing a second install didn't hurt :). Plus, its not cheating or illegal, because I really did have WIndows XP on the machine.

I got the download and easily made the ISO with ImgBurn. I'm trying it out with VMware first to mess around with it. Right now I'm using a personal desktop that gets internet via a crossover cable hooked up to a Dell. The Dell is configured for the network, but my regular PC is not so I have to use that method. I'd really love it if I could get Windows 7 to connect to the Dell's internet just like Vista can. I'll have to play around with that this weekend...

So let me get this straight:

There are two student versions, the .edu version and the MSDNAA version. The .edu version is a download that does not directly lead to a .iso, while the MSDNAA version does lead to an .iso. These are both full retail copies.

To make a bootable install disc that works even on a clean HDD you can follow the instructions on that sevenforums.com post.

You can choose from either Win 7 Pro or Win 7 Home Premium.

Is all this information correct?

That sounds about right. Though I'm speaking mainly from the .edu perspective. I've heard pretty much the same thing about the MSDNAA versions too.

Also, I'm assuming that Pro would be the better choice? I'm not too knowledgeable on the differences between 7's versions.

If you call Microsoft and ask for the .edu deal and tell them you want the digital download instead of the physical disc, they will email you immediately with your order. You will be given a password. You login to the Microsoft store with the .edu email and the password, and then you will be able to download W7 Home Premium or Professional. There is a drop down box where you can choose to download the .iso directly. You get the iso, burn it, and install. It's that easy. I don't know what all these people are talking about when it comes to the .box files and the .exe and all the complex instructions. It was very fast and simple for me.

I don't see why anyone would choose Home Premium over Professional.

If you call Microsoft and ask for the .edu deal and tell them you want the digital download instead of the physical disc, they will email you immediately with your order. You will be given a password. You login to the Microsoft store with the .edu email and the password, and then you will be able to download W7 Home Premium or Professional. There is a drop down box where you can choose to download the .iso directly. You get the iso, burn it, and install. It's that easy. I don't know what all these people are talking about when it comes to the .box files and the .exe and all the complex instructions. It was very fast and simple for me.

I don't see why anyone would choose Home Premium over Professional.

But you didn't do it the way the normal users will do it online. They did it at the website and end up with some weird ass executable file that you have to turn into a bootable ISO.

I'm glad you did it through the phone and then came back to explain to the 95% that did it on the website how you don't know what they're talking about with regard to the executable. Great!

I didn't realize there was a difference between the phone purchase and the online purchase. Seems silly to me that they would make two different versions. Ordering it over the phone is a pain because Microshaft is outsourcing to a call center in some other country... and so it takes like 30 minutes to make sure they have all your information correct.

I guess it was worth it though.

I noticed that when you are about to purchase, the item is listed as "Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Upgrade". Yet, people are saying that it is the full retail version. So, is the listing wrong? Is it actually the retail, not the upgrade?

Back