Windows 7 doesn't recognize a laptop as a laptop

Dallows

Supreme [H]ardness
Let me know if you guys have seen this one.

We have a company image that we've built which will be deployed to all the computers. It is a base image using Windows 7 64-bit Enterprise. We push out with Symantec System Recovery and use the bare-metal restore option to deploy on dissimilar hardware. On all the machines we've tested so far, no issues.

Today I imaged some new HP Elitebook 8560p's and upon checking the power options it doesn't give you the separate "on battery" /"on ac power" options you would expect when dealing with a laptop.

I've tried everything -

re-flash bios
set bios to defaults
install all stupid hp power mgmt software
installed other hp system based software
cleaned registry with ccleaner

nothing has worked.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Have you checked device manager to see that the battery is recognized (if present Batteries is usually the first category). If it's not there I would try three things if possible - right click and scan for hardware changes to see if it can pickup the battery, look down the list for any unknown or ignored devices that you can rerun the driver scan for and finally try swapping the battery for another to see if it is a hardware issue with the onboard controller in the battery not communicating properly.

HAHA- AWESOME.

I did the scan for hardware changes. No difference. No unknown items either. So I uninstalled all the items listed under the Batteries field. And THEN did the scan for hardware changes.

It found something new - Microsoft Composite Battery - went into the power options and huzzah they're there!

Thanks David. Would've never thought to mess with the device manager.

Back