Windows 7 Doesn't Play Sound Through My Front Panel

enc0re

Limp Gawd
So my Velociraptor died Thursday and I took the plunge upgrading from XP to 7 RC. Here's the rub:

My Gigabyte G31M has the Intel HD Audio bits, but my older case (Antec P180) has the AC '97 front panel header. I had connected them anyway, however "sensing" headphones never worked. Under XP all that meant is that my speakers wouldn't turn off when plugging in the headphones.

However, Win7 won't even play out of the front panel, unless it detects headphones. So my headphones are not working. I've scoured the internets for a way to either:

1. Force Win7 to always play out the front panel in addition to the speakers, like my XP setup.
2. Detect headphones when plugged into the old front panel.

I have failed on both counts. So mighty [H] crowd: Do you hold the key to my salvation?

Big thanks in advance, if somebody can help me out with this.

Does your board have two places to plug in the front panel audio? Like an AC97 AND a 'Hi-def' or whatever they call it? I have NO idea, but would that make a difference?

Typical. I can't figure it out for 24 hours, but 10 minutes after posting to [H] it comes to me.

While you can't turn off headphone detection in Win7's sound control panel, you can do it in Gigabyte's drivers, if you install them. Presto, I'm back to my ghetto solution.

I'll leave this thread open, in case a sage mind can tell me how to make headphone "sensing" work. Because that would be pimp.

Some Intel boards required a special UUA driver to use the front audio panel/speakers correctly. I thought this was an XP only problem but I guess not. In the case I saw, when you plugged in the front port, the speaker would NOT cut off even if you had head phones on. By installing the correct UAA driver and the correct HD audio driver from the manufacturer, it fixed this issue. That's why it's important to get drivers from the manufacturer, in the case of laptops or branded desktops,instead of just the generic driver. This driver from the manufacturer was different than the generic driver you can download for Intel HD audio.

First, check out the device manager and see if anything is uninstalled, with a yellow !. In my cases when I've seen this with XP, everything is already installed, which I suspect will be for your also.

Secondly, if you look here, they offer a Windows 7 audio driver with UAA support.
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/...?ProductID=2693&ost=windows+7+32bit#anchor_os

I selected Windows 7 32 bit so change it to 64 if you need too.

Back