Windows 7 crashing

tel0004

Limp Gawd
A friend of mine bought a computer from NewEgg that had to be assembled (against my advise). It came from Newegg with all the parts pre picked, but not assembled.

It keeps getting the BSOD, so I have it over at my house and I'm trying to figure out why.

He knows nothing about computers (which is why I didn't want him to buy one needing assembly). I assembled it at his house, but then it started having problems. I emailed him possible solutions, but he couldn't figure out how to fix it because he couldn't understand my instructions. He said it would get the BSOD every 30-60 minutes on average. I got the computer at my house, and assumed the problem was a motherboard driver, so the first thing I did was update that. It has since got the BSOD twice in 24 hours, so its not as bad, but still not functioning 100%.

Here is what the BSOD says:
gedc0094t.jpg

All drivers are up to date

The processor is a Phenom 9600B

The motherboard is a M2N68- AMPLUS Motherboard.

Onboard video and sound.

seems like something with the CPU.
overclocked? or overheating?
maybe try underclocking it to see if it stops BSOD

101 errors are usually related to a low voltage problem on the CPU when overclocking. This might be fixed by doing a BIOS update. If it was overheating it would just turn off and not give a BSOD. Right now it is just hard to tell the problem without running more tests to see if the problem can be isolated on one part.

The CPU is stock, not overclocked, not underclocked. If underclocking fixes the problem, I'm not opposed to that (its just going to be running the internet, and crap anyway, but I have no clue how to overclock or underclock a cpu.

As for the exact test, what test can I perform?

Hi Te,

A couple of things come to mind as being a possible culprit on this system.

(1) I would check the motherboard manufactures site and forums to see if anyone is having similar issues with the same motherboard. Also check the site for new releases of the BIOS; then check that against the version that is currently on the motherboard. Also check the sites forums against the version that is currently on the motherboard to see if there is issues with that version.

(2) If you have a possible second power supply, change the one in his system and try with another power supply. If it does not BSOD, then go one step further and check the voltage readings on the 3v, 5v, and 12v rails from his power supply with a digital multimeter. If after a couple of days (with second power supply installed) it does not BSOD and the voltage readings from his original power supply seem fine, it would appear that his original power supply is having issues when the computer system is at a load, which would possibly be the cause of a "clock interrupt" crash.

Good luck and keep us updated on this system.

I am having the same problems with my netbook running win 7 started?

$20 power supply -- I would start there.

You could also analyze the debug file that it's creating when it crashed, but if it's the power supply, the dump might be misleading.

Thanks for the update. I can find one of my friends who owns a multimeter and check the readings. I'll do some more research this week or next on the motherboard, CPU combo.

The only powersupply I own is on my own computer. Its a corsair, which has been running fine for 3 years now, so I know its good, but my computer is my work computer. I can't take it out of service to be testing other systems. Its beyond the scope of what I'm willing to do. His powersupply is a 400 watt diablo.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=1361838&sku=D15-1052

Here is what I'm going to do:
Test voltage on power supply on all rails. I'll get the CPU running at 100%, and see what it says.
I'll do some more research on drivers, and other issues. If that doesn't fix it, I'm returning the system to him. It was my recommendation NOT to buy a prebuilt system, and he bought it anyway, (I can't imagine why a computer where every single part is build by the lowest possible bidder is having trouble running)

I'm not going to spend hours upon hours researching a problem for somebody who isn't that good of a friend to begin with. (I told him to buy a dell, if he would have followed my advise, he could have shipped it off to them and got them to fix it.)

I sure can't say as I blame ya to be honest. He purchased a bundled up bunch of computer parts expecting someone to build it for him for free or cheap, thereby saving money..............Well that does not seem to be working out very well for him:p:p:p

None the less, after you check the voltages, let us know and keep us up to date on what you found Te;)

$20 power supply -- I would start there.

You could also analyze the debug file that it's creating when it crashed, but if it's the power supply, the dump might be misleading.

Very true. A low voltage reading on the CPU plug could very easily cause all kinds of odd crases and memory dumps.

Power supply. I know that's already been mentioned several times, but crappy power supplies are culprit with a variety of hardware issues. Use a $20 power supply, and permanent damage is likely.

That brings up a good point Tontork, however one must realize that the article is over two years old. Now granted, many people do purchase "overkill" power supplies, and many can get by very easily with a 600 or so power supply by a reputable company.

Can't think of the link at the moment, but there is a power consumption application online and can be downloaded to find what the current setup is running both at idle, and at a full load on the CPU and GPU.

I was browsing through the user comments on NewEgg for that motherboard. I see someone posted that the motherboard can only support a maximum CPU of 95watts. That is what your friends 9600B is rated for.

There are also problems with the DIMMs. Can you post up complete specs of this build?

Back