Windows 7 Control Panel Icons

zod96

Suspected BAD TRADER
I'm trying to figure out how to hide certain control panel icons in windows 7. I know how to use the gpedit.msc to hide certain icons. But some wouldn't go away. I'm using windows 7 64 bit and I'm trying the hide the Nvidia PhysX (32-bit) icon and the Java (32-bit) icon. I type that in exactly how its spelled into the gpedit group policy editor and click apply but their still their. Am I missing something? Do I need to add something since its 32 bit instead of 64 bit?

Thanks

Block other end-users from being able to access and alter settings. Reduce clutter. Any number of reasons why people would want to do such things.

Open your gpedit.msc

User Configuration - > Administrator Templates -> Control Panel

Hide Specified Control Panel Items

Enable - Show

jpicpl32.cpl
nvcpl.cpl

Apply - OK

I can't verify that it works right now though. Try it out.

Thanks for the tip. But it was a no go. Both are still in the control panel. Still searching the internet but can't seem to find anything. If anyone has any other ideas :)

Cool that one worked :) Thanks man. Now I just need the java one to go away :)

I usually just lock down the cpls i want to hide/block access via NTFS permissions, so if even if they knew what they were doing they still couldn't launch the panel.

try javacpl or javacpl.cpl

Otherwise I got nothing. It's almost like the icon you see is a regular ol' shortcut. I don't think it's possible to block it.

Back