Windows 7 - Computer not sleeping correctly + waking up randomly

MrHood22

Supreme [H]ardness
My computer randomly started having these issues.

1) The computer will sometimes wake up for no reason. I put it to sleep when I go to bed and when I leave for work.I have it set so I can wake on lan but I haven't changed any of those settings. How can I see what is waking this (magic packet, update software, etc)?

2) Sleep doesn't always work properly. I have it set for S3 and typically the computer turns off (fans and everything) and it's only awakened by the power button or a magic packet. It just started having an issue where putting it to sleep would leave the fans on and then it would be awoken by my keyboard/mouse.

try to run "powercfg -lastwake" on a console - that should show what caused the last wake up event.

That's good to know. Is there anything that will show a history?

Unfortunately I already put it to sleep. Worst case scenario I can just wait for it to happen again.

you could check your event log. open the event viewer (eventvwr.exe) go to your system logs and filter by source - the source you're looking for is power-troubleshooter.
nMRYAAx.png

nine time out of ten for me this is a NIC card set to "allow this device to wake the computer" or a media center scheduled download. Check these two things and I bet you'll find your problem.

try to run "powercfg -lastwake" on a console - that should show what caused the last wake up event.

When I do this it says "Wake History County - 0"

you could check your event log. open the event viewer (eventvwr.exe) go to your system logs and filter by source - the source you're looking for is power-troubleshooter.
nMRYAAx.png

I'm looking at it but I'm not sure what I can do to troubleshoot it. How can I use this to trace back the source of it?

nine time out of ten for me this is a NIC card set to "allow this device to wake the computer" or a media center scheduled download. Check these two things and I bet you'll find your problem.

I have it set to "Allow this device to wake the computer" but that's how it's always been. I frequently wake and put my computer to sleep over LAN.

I've had problems with nVidia drivers that cause machines to wake up from sleep. My wife's computer started doing it so much she just started shutting down rather than sleeping. The latest drivers seem to have fixed it for both of us.

Back