Windows 7 can find the audio driver in 1 install, but not on another install of the same PC

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
I am setting up Win 7 on an old PC. The old drive was a segate 80GB, and it sees the audio as an integrated MAX audio driver.

THat was 2 yr. ago

today, I install the same win 7 on a SSD, it says "Multimedia audio controller", w/ the yellow ! sign next to it. So I remove it, and re-scan. Same thing

How can the same win 7 can find the driver 2 yr. ago on an old hard drive, and now when I install it on a SSD, it can't find that same audio driver? And what can I do to fix this

I usually go to the internet and find the driver for the hardware that is missing windows drivers, but that is just me, not sure others do that as well.

Since Windows 7 is not supported anymore, you can't count on Microsoft to maintain hardware drivers and provide them to you via windows update anymore. My guess is that the driver that Microsoft makes available via Windows Update was updated to a new version that no longer supports Windows 7.

But you should be able to go to the website for your Motherboard, or the computer itself if it's a pre-built. You should still be able to download the old drivers. See if they have a Windows 7 driver available, or if not, maybe a Vista driver.

Since Windows 7 is not supported anymore, you can't count on Microsoft to maintain hardware drivers and provide them to you via windows update anymore. My guess is that the driver that Microsoft makes available via Windows Update was updated to a new version that no longer supports Windows 7.

But you should be able to go to the website for your Motherboard, or the computer itself if it's a pre-built. You should still be able to download the old drivers. See if they have a Windows 7 driver available, or if not, maybe a Vista driver.
that may be what is happening. I can go to the internet. But I can't do windows update. I got error code 80072EFE
same deal w/ Mcirosoft security essential, no update

On the old setup, what I need is Microsoft High Definition audio device version 6.1.7601.18276

update:

got it to work. Turns out a website called DriverScape has all the old drivers for a lot of PC

the only thing that doesn't make sense is whenever Chrome goes to some website such as CNN, it says "Unsafe". Something is not sync. that causes this error

Last edited:
Back