Windows 7 BSOD all the time - how to track?

Sync

Weaksauce
Hey all.

I recently built a new PC and have been having BSOD issues. Because I have a new motherboard, memory, cpu, video card, etc how can I determine what is causing the issue? When windows crashes it says it made a crash dump file but where can I find those?

I want to remedy the issue but I do not have extra hardware to test items one by one.

Thanks for any help and direction.

Try for memory first (run memtest), make sure cpu is at correct speeds / temps, if not those look after power supply. What are your specs?

Intel i7 930
6g DDR3 Triple Channel
GTX460 Nvidia
Asus P6T mobo

I just did a stress test on memory with AIDA64 and the system freezes and BSOD immediately. Perhaps it is the memory. The only confusing thing is the built in memory checker in windows 7 found no issue. I will try memtest now.

The Windows memory checker doesn't impress me. Memtest is always the fallback.

Just cause the system froze on memory for that test doesn't make it 100% true. Move the sticks around, and test again. See if there's any differences. You might just have one partially seated so its throwing errors.

If after checking them, and rerunning tests, memory faults in memtest for you, then yes, you're probably right, bad stick(s).

I'd also clear CMOS and reset the BIOS to default settings just to be sure. I hate calling hardware bad right away.

Back