windows 7 black login screen with cursor

trick0502

Supreme [H]ardness
So when i try to login to win 7 64 all i get is the loading screen (4 little partials) then a black screen with the cursor. i can move the mouse around and that is about it. ctl-alt-del doesnt do anything, neither does any of the other windows modes. they all load to that same black screen. i tried putting the win7 disk in and having it repair startup problems and it couldnt find any problems. i ran chkdsk r, and that turned out fine. anyone else have this problem? and if so what did you do to fix it?

chkdsk /f didnt work. i really dont know what else to try. any suggestions?

this is really driving me crazy!!! i cannot figure this out. has this happened to anyone else?

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows

Try running that from the recovery console on your installation DVD.

So when i try to login to win 7 64 all i get is the loading screen (4 little partials) then a black screen with the cursor. i can move the mouse around and that is about it. ctl-alt-del doesnt do anything, neither does any of the other windows modes. they all load to that same black screen. i tried putting the win7 disk in and having it repair startup problems and it couldnt find any problems. i ran chkdsk r, and that turned out fine. anyone else have this problem? and if so what did you do to fix it?

Try windows P a couple times. It sounds like you have the computer set up in two monitor mode and the login screen is being displayed on the "other" monitor.

the system will not let me run sfc /scannow. it comes back "there is a system repair pending which requires a restart." i restart and get the same error.

as for taking the hdd out, the system is on a raid 0 so i cant do that.

Has anyone come across a fix for this problem?
Black screen upon log on with just a working mouse pointer. No access to anything via key commands. Same thing when trying through safe mode.
Any help would be appreciated.

Has anyone come across a fix for this problem?
Black screen upon log on with just a working mouse pointer. No access to anything via key commands. Same thing when trying through safe mode.
Any help would be appreciated.

What do you mean by "no access to anything" - you can't ctrl alt delete and get the options there?

Thats right, pressing ctrl+alt+del brings up nothing. The windows key does nothing. Right clicking does nothing. The mouse pointer works fine though, i even saw the little disc accessing icon come up under the mouse when i popped in a dvd but nothing happens.
Weird one this is.

Ended up fixing the issue by doing a system restore... seemed to be a bad windows update.
I used the recovery tools that are on the install disc under the repair option.

Back