Windows 7 Beta Goes Public

Just a heads-up for all the people here who have not yet begun to install Windows 7, or, have begun to install Winodws 7 - Completing the Installation takes A LONG TIME

Somebody look through the source code of the page, and do some tricky geek magic and get us some keys.

21 mins on a Core 2 Duo T5800 laptop (1.83 GHz) with a 7200 RPM SATA I 120GB drive and an 8x DVD burner, from the time I pressed the power button to the time it was done with the installation and I was staring at the desktop where I could actually use it...

Sure didn't seem like a loooonnnngggg time to me. :)

Just a heads-up for all the people here who have not yet begun to install Windows 7, or, have begun to install Winodws 7 - Completing the Installation takes A LONG TIME

took about 20 minutes for me

Strange. It took 24 minutes flat from turning on my laptop, inserting the DVD to when I first get the usable desktop.

Wow - then my lack of speed must have something to do with the fact that I accidentally installed it alongside Windows Vista

lol, installing 7 was the fastest to a usable desktop for any OS ever for me, including XP, Vista, Ubuntu, or anything else....

Somebody look through the source code of the page, and do some tricky geek magic and get us some keys.

Ok, I just have to ask: why are you so concerned with the key if:

a) you can install it without one
b) you can use it for 30 days without one
c) you can rearm it for another 30 days, up to roughly 120 days (that's 4 months, yanno) and still not need a key
d) you acquired the ISOs from Microsoft legitimately so you're allowed to install it without a key and use it without one
e) there's no actual reason to use a key save for activation which doesn't mean anything at all really
f) activation incurs no benefits over not using the key to install and use the OS
g) I could go on but you should get the point by now...

SO, what's the deal with the keykeykeygimmeakeythelinksdeadIhavetohaveadamnedkeyNOW things...

I don't get it.

Is there a way to remove Vista once im done installing 7? Or do I have to do the process all over again :)

Is there a way to remove Vista once im done installing 7? Or do I have to do the process all over again :)

You installed Windows 7 on the same partition as Vista? Or just on the same physical drive on a different partition?

Best answer is... you should always install beta OSes on a clean drive unless you have a specific reason to be testing multiboot/dual boot scenarios.

Ok, I just have to ask: why are you so concerned with the key if:

a) you can install it without one
b) you can use it for 30 days without one
c) you can rearm it for another 30 days, up to roughly 120 days (that's 4 months, yanno) and still not need a key
d) you acquired the ISOs from Microsoft legitimately so you're allowed to install it without a key and use it without one
e) there's no actual reason to use a key save for activation which doesn't mean anything at all really
f) activation incurs no benefits over not using the key to install and use the OS
g) I could go on but you should get the point by now...

SO, what's the deal with the keykeykeygimmeakeythelinksdeadIhavetohaveadamnedkeyNOW things...

I don't get it.

Well ... ... ... it just feels better to have it complete, and not have to rearm or reinstall. It doesn't matter about the benefits. Also, the genuine things on the Microsoft websites have spac-attacks. And the keys are a challenge, and I (or someone else) must rise to the challenge. Its [H]ard.

I don't even think it took 20 minutes from start to usable...

You installed Windows 7 on the same partition as Vista? Or just on the same physical drive on a different partition?

Best answer is... you should always install beta OSes on a clean drive unless you have a specific reason to be testing multiboot/dual boot scenarios.

Yep - same drive, different partition

And, yeah I agree with:

lol - this is going to be an annoyance, isn't it?

Setup 3 tabs in firefox refreshing every 1s with check4change addon and got the key in less than 10 minutes.

ive tried both those links, but they reroute it back to the windows 7 main page every time i enter them.

Do you know how to get rid of the boot menu? or change it from XP? I going to format my Vista partition, but I dont know how thats going to effect the boot menu and my XP partition.

Installing Firefox to the quicklaunch bar now causes itself to hide when you click on the FF icon a second time, opposed to launching a new broswer window.

Semi-annoying :\

That and I keep getting random messages about how my drive is "corrupted", but yet when I run Diskcheck before Windows boots, it comes to some error about drive space (with 20gb free) and restarts the test all over.

Hm.

Oh, Joe_Average?

I DID need a product key to install it

Uhmmm... no, you don't need a key - but apparently you're simply ignorant of the method to install without the key which is:

At the place in the installation where it asks for a key, you click No, then you click No again, and it continues from there. You can also uncheck the "Activate while online" box and not be hassled with it after the installation.

Simple.

Setup 3 tabs in firefox refreshing every 1s with check4change addon and got the key in less than 10 minutes.

Great way to spam the shit outta Microsoft and waste bandwidth for no legitimate reason... great job, really.

Man, you are my HERO!

It found 3 keys for me. Granted, all were the same for 64 bit, but now I ahve 32 and 64.

Now to find a good download for 32 bit.

lol - I was installing the Kapersky security suite for Windows 7, and got Blue Screened - it HAUNTS ME!

Uhmmm... no, you don't need a key - but apparently you're simply ignorant of the method to install without the key which is:

At the place in the installation where it asks for a key, you click No, then you click No again, and it continues from there. You can also uncheck the "Activate while online" box and not be hassled with it after the installation.

Simple.

AHH - I see...nevermind then

I don't have any extra space to put it on a new partition... Too much po.... nevermind.

I'm simply stunned at the effort people are putting into getting a key... you'd think they were lottery numbers or something. :)

It's truly baffling...

I think I am going to wear my F5 key out trying to get this stupid key...

Most browsers these days will let you right-click on a tab and set it to auto-refresh/reload based on a specified period of time. That's what most of these key leechers are doing now... automating it, harvesting keys...

It's a bit fucking ridiculous, folks, it truly is.

Most browsers these days will let you right-click on a tab and set it to auto-refresh/reload based on a specified period of time. That's what most of these key leechers are doing now... automating it, harvesting keys...

It's a bit fucking ridiculous, folks, it truly is.

i am just going for one key, since it sounds like you get the same one for both 32bit and 64bit versions

Big thanks to 86 5.0L and efnx, you have done a world of good in the search for keys.

Round of applause :D

Back