Windows 7 Beta Goes Public

I would gladly give it to you if it weren't for my test system being x86. I was just trying to get the 64 key in case I decide to give it a shot on my main.

Haha no worries. I will just have to be vigilant and patient as I sit here running Windows 7 thinking preeeeetttttyyyyyy. And fast. And NIS09 works. But Windows Update doesnt.

36 seconds till my d/l of the 64bit version is done and my 1.4MB gets returned to the bandwidth pool.

Ahh make it done now.

Does anyone have a MD5/CRC type checksum so that I can check the integrity of the file?

FCIV from MS does MD5 and SHA, just need to download it (if you can even get their normal website to work haha)

All I can say is we know you didn't read a single post before you posted tricky0502.

For those having download interruption issues, I'd recommend FDM (http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/). Got it pulling down the x64 in 5 chunks at ~1150 KB/s. I think I have a new use for that blank HD I have laying around... Looking forward to seeing how well W7 runs on my hardware (Opteron 170, 4 GB of Ram, 7800GS (AGP))

Haha no worries. I will just have to be vigilant and patient as I sit here running Windows 7 thinking preeeeetttttyyyyyy. And fast. And NIS09 works. But Windows Update doesnt.

I'm curious about the speed. I am initially going to be running it on an older system; Athlon XP 2Ghz.

W7 is niiice!!!! fast and solid as a rock! my only complaint is it how it shortens filenames in explorer

damn, no edit. I was going to add that the torrent is still going strong for those that haven't gotten it yet

Thanks for the direct links. Funny, they only worked for me when I used IE.....
Now if I can just get a key.

Issue - Windows Update ain't workin in Windows 7. Anyone else installed and having this problem? Help doesn't connect to online as well.

I'm curious about the speed. I am initially going to be running it on an older system; Athlon XP 2Ghz.
it will be fine..I have it on a 2Ghz system also ...(XP3500) with a Gb or ram and its every bit as fast as my quad core vista box.....sadly enough....:eek:

So far it seems pretty much the same, minus the taskbar. Still messing around, time will tell.

I don't think I am going to install it until I get a key for it. I have an old 250 gb hd I could try it on though.

I plan on partitioning my main drive and installing asap... when trial expires i will reinstall ... hopefully i can get a key.

Just got my x64 ISO downloaded (thanks 86 5.0L :)). Wish I had a key though. I hate to only have it work for 30 days.

After over 2 years of Vista being out, you people still don't get that you can use this without a key? And you can probably get a key over the next few days when interest dies down somewhat? Let's face it, 2.5 MILLION KEYS is a shitload of 'em, folks, if you apply for one in the next few days and the servers are able to manage it you'll get one.

Even so, you can install it without a key (it'll only install the Ultimate so you don't get any choice), and run it for 30 days... you can input the key and activate after you get it.

If by some VERY STRANGE stroke of luck you don't get a key, you can still use it and just use the slmgr.vbs -rearm command 3-4 times so you can stretch the useful period to ~120 days.

And one other thing: there will be OTHER BETAS, perhaps, maybe 1 more, but honestly I think it's ready to go to RC1 stage already... Win 7 could be out by summer, on store shelves, seriously, as long as nothing majorly wrong happens. So who the hell would want to run this Beta 1 all the way till it expires anyway?

So, if you've got the ISO(s), install the fucking thing and stop whining about the keys you don't even need. :D

my d/l finished in just under 2hr. with firefox. and no issues. Go figure!

if you haven't seen this yet:

"Due to very heavy traffic we’re seeing as a result of interest in the Windows 7 Beta, we are adding some additional infrastructure support to the Microsoft.com properties before we post the public beta. We want to ensure customers have the best possible experience when downloading the beta, and I’ll be posting here again soon once the beta goes live. Stay tuned! We are excited that you are excited!"

it's from the Windows Blog

Oh, and I didn't have any major problems with it... got it yesterday, (x64 version) installed this morning to an SSD drive actually..

Windows Update worked fine

Avast Antivirus works

only problem I ran into was with ATI drivers... the W7 ATI beta drivers don't support older video cards.. Currently I'm running my 22" LCD monitor with a 4870 1gig and I'm using an older X1800GTO to power my two 17" LCD monitors...

it worked with the default windows drivers but once I installed the ATI drivers I got the 'device failed to start' error, after checking ATI it doesn't list older cards support

so I'm just going to swap it out for my 4870 512mb card I guess, and run the two 4870s for now...

I just got it fixed - some SM Bus Controller issues, so no network etc. Fixed with Intel Vista drivers - very backwards compatible!! I'm not convinced though. I like Vista.

Oh, and I didn't have any major problems with it... got it yesterday, (x64 version) installed this morning to an SSD drive actually..

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47212

Read that and find all the neat little things you can do to absolutely maximize the SSD's capabilities with Windows 7 - most every Vista tweak applies directly to Win 7 and can not only boost performance considerably but prolong the lifespan of that SSD (not like you'll destroy it; average use of an SSD means it'll last for 100+ years, and even heavy use won't hurt it for decades).

I guess from their doing whatever to try and get rid of overloaded server messages, it isn't available right now. Guess I will try again later tonight or tomorrow morning.

So why are people so jazzed about installing a beta operating system again?? It's not like you get upgraded to retail version when it's released or anything.

New message on Windows 7 Website:
Thanks for your interest in the Windows 7 Beta. The volume has been phenomenal—we're in the process of adding more servers to handle the demand. We're sorry for the delay and we'll re-post the Beta as soon as we can ensure a quality download experience.

Back