Windows 7 Beta conundrum

TronixA

n00b
As great as the Microsoft offer to use Windows 7 for an extended period of time, I have heard reports that if you decide to go with Windows 7 beta now, you will be looking at a complete reinstall of the OS when you upgrade to the final version. Is there any truth to this? I would make the switch but I'm sick of having to reinstall drivers and such. I purchased Vista x64 but with the hardware I was using at the time, it corrupted many of the files I kept on the computer and eventually corrupted a hidden directory which would cause Vista to not even install on itself without blue-screening so I'm sticking with XP for now.
At any rate if someone can give some guidance on what to expect with regards to switching over from Win 7 Beta to the RTM, that would be great!

First of all, its not a beta anymore, its the full blown one and only release candidate. Yes, there is a difference.

Second, no one is twisting your arm telling you you have to install W7 RC. If you are going to complain about having to re-install drivers and apps, you aren't the type of person who should be testing a new OS.

And yes, once W7 goes RTM you will have to reinstall. Most people here have no problem with that as it is 8 months away and we knew it going in.

Hey, I just wanted to know whether or not an upgrade option would be available once RTM is released. After reinstalling Vista x64 4 times already due to its file corruption issues, I don't particularly feel inclined to do any more re-installations of Windows. At any rate there's no reason to get snarky over a simple question but I appreciate the quick response. Thanks anyway!

You would be amazed how many people come in here complaining about reinstalling like someone is forcing them to install beta/RC software.

And what Vista64 file corruption issues? Up until two weeks ago when I installed W7 x64 on my main desktop, I was running Vista 64 since its release (many people here have) and never saw even a single BSOD.

I'm guessing that it may have had something to do with the Areca RAID card that I had installed. It may have been that the RAID drivers weren't mature perhaps or it could have been the outdated hardware that I was using at the time. One hypothesis is that the bandwidth on the bus wasn't fast enough to keep up with the operating system's requirements which then prevented the RAID hardware from writing to the drive from time to time creating the corrupted files. Every time the computer rebooted, Vista was always wanting to perform a chkdsk on the drives.
I can tell you this however- after switching back to Windows XP, the file corruption issues ceased. Like I said, this could be caused by immature drivers or old hardware (I was using an AMD FX-60 processor on an N-force 4 based motherboard). At the moment though, my plan is to simply stick with XP until Windows 7 is released.

Hey, I just wanted to know whether or not an upgrade option would be available once RTM is released. After reinstalling Vista x64 4 times already due to its file corruption issues, I don't particularly feel inclined to do any more re-installations of Windows. At any rate there's no reason to get snarky over a simple question but I appreciate the quick response. Thanks anyway!

I read that the option to upgrade will not be present in the final version.
There is a way around it though if you can copy the install disk to a writable media and install from that.

Edit cversion.ini in the Sources folder.
Change Minclient to 7000

It will now upgrade the RC.

Back