windows 7 appears to be corrupt

Modder man

[H]ard|Gawd
Getting errors as to the location of files and such. This is a brand new computer. Is there anyway I can fix a corrupt OS without reinstalling.

It is running windows home premium, I cant get in normally or in safe mode anymore

Its a hardware issue, solve it first, then worry about fixing the operating system. Start with some memtest, hd manufacturer diagnostics, etc

I guess I should have mentioned that. I have already swapped ram thinking that, made no difference

check the HD then next, then maybe try to boot the install disk and allow it to try to fix any issues keeping it from starting up.

well it does start up just not fully. it will start loading windows but it takes forever and never finishes. what would you check the HD with being as it wont fully load windows?

load to the windows installer disk, go to repair, bring up the command prompt from that and check the hard drive.

Put it into another computer as a secondary drive and run a check disk on it from there

If the computer is a Dell normally they have a diagnostic partition on the machine. want to say you would press F12 to bring up the boot list and select it from there. you could have that run through all the test on your computer.

there is a software on the drive that i would prefer to not have to reinstall, the only way to get a code is to call in and have them activate it. it gets to be a pain to spend an hour on the phone just to activate a software everytime i reinstall

how's your power supply?

I had a similar problem on a friends box .. replaced the psu and issues went away. Kinda weird I know.. the psu had barely enough to boot the rig I guess .. would take forever to actually get into windows.

When the box started to not consistently start every time, then that's when I tried a different psu and presto change-O .. computer is back to running like a champ again.

If you can't repair using the install disk, you could do a parallel install which is a pain but, it would save the install of your other software.

why can't OP do format and reinstall? did I miss something?

Is that your first way of trying to fix an issue? Just format and reinstall? He was wanting to try to fix it without doing that first, probably to keep his programs and files intact. Plus if it is a hardware issue doing a reinstall isn't going to fix that.

Is that your first way of trying to fix an issue? Just format and reinstall? He was wanting to try to fix it without doing that first, probably to keep his programs and files intact. Plus if it is a hardware issue doing a reinstall isn't going to fix that.

Well, that worked since windows 95 :D

well i have now done scans on all of the hardware and am fairly confident in that. i just need to find a way around reinstalling this software.

well i have now done scans on all of the hardware and am fairly confident in that. i just need to find a way around reinstalling this software.

Did you try to have windows 7 see if it could fix startup? Other than that you can try to go back to a restore point. About the only thing you have left if you didn't make any backups. Which if a pc CAN'T be wiped out and started over again from scratch you should have a backup

the pc is only a 2 weeks old now and for a week of that time it has been broken. It is also not mine

You said before you got it to go into windows but took a really long time. Is it still taking a long time or is it not starting at all again? If you can get Ito windows at all you can run setup from there and do an upgrade which will do a repair install. If not then you could try booting to the install DVD going to repair, the command line then trying to run sfc on machine. That is about all that is really left. While it will be a pain to have to call for reactivating a program that is better than speeding 3+ days to figure out how to save an hour. Either the person got a bad laptop from the start or something that they did or installed screwed it up.

I would test the hard drive using ultimate boot cd or hirens boot cd and choosing seagate seatools hard drive test or ibm fitness test and make sure that its good there.

Back