Windows 7 and slaved drives permission denied.

zazzn

Limp Gawd
Hi All,

I've salved many drives before with out needing to take ownership of the drives when I slaved them in USB or Esata. However, now on windows 7 I get a permission denied and I have to take ownership to see the files. the problem is if I do this I find that it skews the OS on that slaved drive.

I've never had to do this before and still don't have to do it on one of my HD's.

Can anyone explain what is going on here? Why the inconsistency?

I don't want to take ownership and skew up my XP os on that slaved drive.

**Ninja edit**

BTW all drives are in NTFS.... I've never needed permissions because I always though since I'm using the same machine name and user name between all the os's it shouldn't have needed me to take control... does windows 7 look at the GUID for permissions now?

Try adding your account with full permissions in advanced security (check inherent permissions and apply to sub-folders), but don't take ownership, I think that worked in my situation when I was dual booting Vista and 7.

**Ninja edit**

BTW all drives are in NTFS.... I've never needed permissions because I always though since I'm using the same machine name and user name between all the os's it shouldn't have needed me to take control... does windows 7 look at the GUID for permissions now?

I'm getting the feeling that it is looking at the SID, instead of just username/password.
I have XP and 7 dual-booted on my laptop, with same username and pass on both OSes.
When in Win7 and I tried to access my XP profile folder, I got access denied until I took ownership with my Win7 account.

although I haven't booted into my XP install in a while, so I have no clue if the profile folder even works anymore.

yeah I tried that, let me try again though...

I logon to my Xp partition for gaming since i'm too lazy to install all the games and patch them again so I just have 2 1TB drives.

Also not all the games work on my win 7 x64.

I'm getting the feeling that it is looking at the SID, instead of just username/password.
Yup, it does that.

If you're going to add permissions don't just give the everyone group full access, instead just add yourself with full permissions. If not possible give everyone access within XP then boot Windows 7, give yourself access and remove everyone.

Here's the problem, they are the same user and the same comptuer name so I can't really add the same user...

If I add the administrators group it's already there since it's there for the xp flavor (sid)

What do you want to do, share files between OSes on an on-going basis or just once? Maybe you could try creating a new user with a different name in Windows 7, and give that user full control of the files, since you say the same user/computer name causes a problem (not how it works afaik..) You'll have to reconfigure some things, but if it works...

Last edited:
It doesn't really matter what the username, password, and computername are. Windows applies an SID to user accounts and that's what it uses to determine who can view files, etc. It helps keep data secure in the situation where users match common usernames (Admin) with common passwords (password) or no password. Here's what you do, step by step:

1. Within Windows 7 attempt to take ownership of the old drive with the administrative account
2. Again within Windows 7, attempt to take full read/write permission control over the files.
You should be done, if anything fails:
3. Log into Windows XP, note the EVERYONE groups level of access then give the group full control of the drive.
4. Log into Windows 7, give your username (or whoever you want) full control of the files, revert EVERYONE to their previous status.

Unless you remove someone from the ACLs list Windows XP and 7 shouldn't experience any problems.

hrm it's strange I don't have to fight this problem on some slaved drives yet some i do..

For instance when I hook up my old laptop USB HD, I don't have to yank permissions.

When I was dual booting xp/vista it worked fine without taking ownership...

I want to dual boot between the HD's

All the files are on the xp hd and the win 7 HD should be linking to there for mp3's ect. ...

Back