Windows 7 and Sain'ts Row 2 wtf?

KillRoy X

Gawd
So upgraded to 7 from Vista, both 64 bit versions. Played the Wolfy demo fine, then went to play Saint's Row 2.

Everything looks good except for one thing. The game plays at 2x the regular speed. I can't figure out what happened, but I can't fix at this time.

Not sure I'll get any hits on this because it's pretty unique issue, but thought I'd try.

I did reinstall Nvidia drivers, restart, still crazy.

Help?

known problem unfortunately. Volition gave the "W7 is not a supported OS yet" line when people were reporting problems with the W7 RC.

They may patch it in the coming weeks but then again I'm just guessing.

Its crap like this why I dont jump on new OS's. Hell, Im still on XP, hehe.

known problem unfortunately. Volition gave the "W7 is not a supported OS yet" line when people were reporting problems with the W7 RC.

They may patch it in the coming weeks but then again I'm just guessing.

They won't. Volition doesn't seem to care about SR2 anymore. I'd be surprised if they fix RFG, which has the same problem.

Wow, I wasn't aware their would be any games with compatibility issues moving to Windows 7. All I've heard is seamless transition. I guess that's my fault for assuming.

I sent a request to Volition, but I'm sure it will go unnoticed. That's too bad, because Iove this game!

About 60% done, lot of man hours in, and now stuck.

Sad.

Is there a list of other games not working on 7? Like current games, I'm not talking games from 3 years ago.

I tried playing Saints Row 2 on my W7 system as well. It locked up and crashed at the intro graphics. You can't polish a turd sometimes =[

I read on another forum, they dropped support for this game. that there will be no more patches...i was gonna buy it when that steam sale came around...not anymore

Hm.. it ran fine for me on one Windows 7 install. I'll try it on some others to see if I can maybe help identify the specific issue.

Yep, same issue with Red Faction Guerilla. Ridiculous that Volition says SR2 and RF:G dont support Windows 7. They need to pull their heads out and come up with patches for these games.

Yep, same issue with Red Faction Guerilla. Ridiculous that Volition says SR2 and RF:G dont support Windows 7. They need to pull their heads out and come up with patches for these games.

Guerilla plays 100% fine on my machine...

The only problem I had with SR2 on Win7 is a crashing issue. I haven't been able to figure out the cause as of yet. However, I haven't had the problem in a while although it may have something to do with how long I play the game. I usually don't play the game much longer than an hour at a time although I used to have crashing issues within 15-20 minutes of playing the game sometimes.

I have noticed is that the number of handles according to task manager continually increases the longer I play. This may be causing some instability with the game.

The problem could also be related to nVidia drivers in my case. I've had problems here and there with the drivers although they seem to get a little bit more stable with each new release.

Tried SR2 on my desktop and wife's system last night and couldn't reproduce the speed issue. Was playing co-op mode. One is the first system in my sig, other is a E2200 with a 8800GT.

I haven't tried the laptop or VM server yet, might do that later. Sorry I'm not much help in figuring this out.

Both SR2 and RF:Guerrilla run way too fast on my Windows 7 machines. It's to the point where both games are unplayable. I'm not optimistic that Volition will be patching and am just going to avoid their games in the future. The whole "We don't support Windows 7" line is just bullshit, plain and simple.

this problem is not a constan t one either. I installed windows 7 once as a test and RF:G and saints row 2 btoh had the super speed problem.

I then wiped the hard drive and installed again and this time I dont have the problem. non of the computer specs were changed between installs either.

Question Ragnerok. Did you also wipe the saved games for SR 2? I just don't have the energy to start over on this one. I'm in pretty deep and to start over would be tough.

Question Ragnerok. Did you also wipe the saved games for SR 2? I just don't have the energy to start over on this one. I'm in pretty deep and to start over would be tough.

ya I wiped the SR2 save but not the red faction one.

Another idea, speed issues may be related to speed stepping enabled and something not right with the way it is handling timing. Try setting your power settings to 100% minimum and maximum CPU usage and see if that makes a difference.

Another idea, speed issues may be related to speed stepping enabled and something not right with the way it is handling timing. Try setting your power settings to 100% minimum and maximum CPU usage and see if that makes a difference.

doesn't. there's just something wrong about the way volition writes code.

Tried running the game and it works fine on Win7 Pro 64bit...Weird as hell. Going to download RFG from Impulse sometime this week and see if it works fine as well.

doesn't. there's just something wrong about the way volition writes code.

There is definately some factor that triggers the speed up issue and I am almost positive it has something to do with video drivers in combination with the game coding. Would love to know what it is but it is proving to be very elusive.

Someone in these forums (can't remember who off the top of my head) mentioned they had no speedup issues at all in RF:G running under Win7. They were attempting to address another unrelated issue by altering driver control panel settings which in turn activated the speedup issue!

Has anyone tried rolling back video drivers to an earlier revision to see if it makes any difference? Bizarre that some people are not experiencing any problems in Win7 environment and others are.

Yeah this is baffling, I've tried just the Windows 7 WHQL drivers for Saint's Row 2 and I can't resolve it yet.

Hopefully there is some fix soon.

And from Volition:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us. Unfortunately, Saints Row 2 does not support the Windows 7 OS. We contacted the company responsible for the PC port and there are no plans for a future patch. We apologize for this and hope that you can continue to enjoy the game.

F U Volition

And from Volition:
Thank you for contacting us. Unfortunately, Saints Row 2 does not support the Windows 7 OS. We contacted the company responsible for the PC port and there are no plans for a future patch. We apologize for this and hope that you can continue to enjoy the game.

Wow. Way to look out for your customers Volition. Terrible support

The sad thing is, the Win7 issue in RF:G has NOT been addressed in the upcoming patch. On the official RF:G forums apparently they are "Still looking into it" according to the mod.

Back