Windows 7 and Intel SSD settings?

Copyright

Supreme [H]ardness
Just got Win 7 installed. I used all the stock win 7 drivers and my benchmarks looked great. Especially after the 8820 firmware update from intel. I disabled Defrag and system restore. What else should I disable in windows 7 for SSD drives? Is there a search indexing I should disable?

Like all SSD you should disable the drive indexing option...

Right click on the drive and select properties. uncheck the second option "allow the file one this drive...."

also move the page file to another drive....if you have more than 6G of RAM you can set the page file to like 2G...

ComputerManiac

I have 8gb of ram.. I never messed with the paging file last time other then turning it off which I was told is a bad idea although it never gave me an issue.

I have Super Talent 64GB and I disable:

-Hibernation
-Defrag for the SSD
-Drive Index

Unlike previous generation you have to align and tweaks.

Hmm, disabling drive indexing eh? Looks like I'm not getting an SSD any time soon. That is one of the most useful features of Vista/7. Being able to find and open any file or app with just a few key presses is a requirement for me.

Hmm, disabling drive indexing eh? Looks like I'm not getting an SSD any time soon. That is one of the most useful features of Vista/7. Being able to find and open any file or app with just a few key presses is a requirement for me.

The SSD is almost instant with random access so there is no need to index.

also move the page file to another drive....if you have more than 6G of RAM you can set the page file to like 2G...
ComputerManiac

Microsoft themselves say to leave the pagefile on the SSD.

Should the pagefile be placed on SSDs?

Yes. Most pagefile operations are small random reads or larger sequential writes, both of which are types of operations that SSDs handle well.

In looking at telemetry data from thousands of traces and focusing on pagefile reads and writes, we find that

Pagefile.sys reads outnumber pagefile.sys writes by about 40 to 1,
Pagefile.sys read sizes are typically quite small, with 67% less than or equal to 4 KB, and 88% less than 16 KB.
Pagefile.sys writes are relatively large, with 62% greater than or equal to 128 KB and 45% being exactly 1 MB in size.
In fact, given typical pagefile reference patterns and the favorable performance characteristics SSDs have on those patterns, there are few files better than the pagefile to place on an SSD.

Taken from http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2009/05/05/support-and-q-a-for-solid-state-drives-and.aspx

From: http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2009/05/05/support-and-q-a-for-solid-state-drives-and.aspx

Windows 7 Optimizations and Default Behavior Summary

Windows 7 will disable disk defragmentation on SSD system drives. Because SSDs perform extremely well on random read operations, defragmenting files isn’t helpful enough to warrant the added disk writing defragmentation produces. The FAQ section below has some additional details.

Be default, Windows 7 will disable Superfetch, ReadyBoost, as well as boot and application launch prefetching on SSDs with good random read, random write and flush performance. These technologies were all designed to improve performance on traditional HDDs, where random read performance could easily be a major bottleneck. See the FAQ section for more details.

Since SSDs tend to perform at their best when the operating system’s partitions are created with the SSD’s alignment needs in mind, all of the partition-creating tools in Windows 7 place newly created partitions with the appropriate alignment.

dont forget to delete and disable the hibernation file. I've never used "sleep" on anything but a laptop and with a SSD disk who needs sleep when it boots up from a cold boot in mere seconds. In Win7 the hibernation file was eating up 2GB and if you only have 80GB thats a nice small chunk right there ;)

how do i disable defrag?

i have 12gb of memory, i disable the swap file. no errors. kind of run at the same speed, like nothing has change, borring.:)

i have 12gb of memory, i disable the swap file. no errors. kind of run at the same speed, like nothing has change, borring.:)

And you wonder why the seasoned veterans on here who know what they are doing say to leave it alone....

One day you kids while learn... :D

And you wonder why the seasoned veterans on here who know what they are doing say to leave it alone....

One day you kids while learn... :D

If you're going to be condescending, you should work on your reading comprehension. What he is saying is that he disabled swap, and there was no performance hit. Which is to be expected because the paging file is a legacy feature of WinXP and is worthless with high amounts of ram. Parroting MS' advice on a flawed MS feature does not make one a "seasoned veteran."

Which is to be expected because the paging file is a legacy feature of WinXP and is worthless with high amounts of ram. "

Its there for a reason......or else they would have removed it for Win7.

Strange, I had to disable indexing on mine. Not sure if its because I am running a raid 0 config? Also I had to disable disk defrag. Win 7 did not do this automatically for me like the blog mentioned above.

Strange, I had to disable indexing on mine. Not sure if its because I am running a raid 0 config? Also I had to disable disk defrag. Win 7 did not do this automatically for me like the blog mentioned above.

Thats because its in a RAID and windows did not know it was an SSD :)

Back