Windows 7 and HD-PVR working nicely - Guide

kemist1117

Limp Gawd
So like most people on here I have been waiting for an MCE HD solution that actually works. I recently saw that people were finally starting to get success in this with the HD-PVR by using the dvblink software (link) so i figured I would give it a shot. Well i ordered an HD-PVR, set it up, and its working beautifully, so I thought it would be nice to post how I got it working as it is a bit technical and you MUST follow the installation process listed on dvblink's website or you will have problems.

My HTPC:
E4600 proc 2.4gz allendale
dfi 975xg motherboard
hd3870 vid card
2gb ram

Installation

1.) Install the newest Hauppauge drivers.

2.) Windows 7 UAC is different than Vista's, because of this I thought I would be fine without changing it but you HAVE to lower the UAC slider all the way down and reboot before installing the DVBlink software. Make sure you do this, reboot, then install the dvblink server with MCE closed. Reboot. Install HD-PVR bridge.

3.) Perform the tv setup as listed on the dvblink website. For me canceling out of the tv scan would end the setup so you will likely have to wait a bit. Again, make sure you follow the guide and install ONLY ONE DVBlink tuner at a time. Uncheck all the others and repeat one after another. Also be sure to install your SD/QAM tuners as well.

4.) Perform the configuration as listed on the website. If you have problems at this point it is likely that you screwed up the installation in some way (like i did) and should probably just uninstall all of the dvblink software and start over again.

5.) Channel changing. I have an SA 4250HD box that has a firewire port. I wanted to use firestb for channel changing so had to play around a bit to figure out how to get it to work.

First, firestb is here and the guide is on this website as well. That will come in handy if you have problems.

Second, you will need this updated driver set for the 4250hd for firestb to work, directions are on the site for what you will need to do.

Third, this step may or may not be necessary to get it to work. I think channel.exe will work without the step, but for MCE to change channels it is necessary.

Finally, you should run channel.exe to verify channel changing. When you run it you will basically get a dos box and will have to enter command line parameters. At the line type "channel -v" without the quotes and hit enter, you will get a list. One of these entries, probably number 2, will be your cable box. If this is the case try typing the following for a 4250hd: "channel -f -a0 2 704"

What this means:
-f = force channel change

-a0 = specifies how the channel change command is sent, more explanation is in the firestb guide, however -a0 works for the 4250hd, this may have to be altered if you have a different cable box.

2 = the number of the cable box in the list from channel -v

704 = any number for a channel that you want the box to change to, you can change the 704 to anything you want to test if the changing is functioning.

If it is functioning you can then add the address of the channel.dll into the hd-pvr channel changing section, and the command line parameters that you determined above e.g. -f -a0 etc.

6.) At this point you should be able to configure your line up. In windows 7 go to Extras, then in extras go to extras library. You should see the channel configuration utility which will set up your lineup. This worked beautifully for me just going through the default settings, however it set the priority for the HD-PVR highest for all the channels including SD, so I will have to go back and change the priorities for my sd tuners.

Basically thats it. A little bit involved but its working beautifully for me so far. If anyone has any questions I can try to help.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. :cool:

Anyone know off hand if I can do serial port channel changing for my DirecTV boxes with 7MC?

I believe you can use firestb for serial changing as well, but the drivers may or may not exist if it is a newer box.

Update: I have had the hd-pvr freak out a couple times and start changing the channel randomly when it was not in use for a long time, not sure if this is because i just exited out of MCE without stopping the live tv stream or what. Anyway its easily solved with a quick power cycle of the hd-pvr and hasnt occurred while watching tv. Today set it to tape 4 or 5 movies in a row with large idle times in between no problem, also when I got back from my exam it was fine after idling for about 3 hours. So a bit weird and not sure what caused it.

One other observation: with the 4250hd box's hdmi plugged in I got a yprpb output blocked problem once, a quick search showed that removing the hdmi cable gets rid of this, and i havent had a problem after doing so.

All in all i'm still extremely happy with this and im sure the software will get better as its only recently out of beta.

Its a little expensive and currently a little kludgy but its nice having the flexibility it gives you.

Update to the update:

It appears the HD-PVR freak out was due to leaving EPG background scanning on. To prevent the weird ghost channel changing you need to open the DVB-Link channel configuration utility in the Win 7 MC extras library and disable EPG background scanning.

Also the software now supports dual HD-PVR's, though i havent set up dual tuners yet.

Nice guide, but in my case I think it's best to wait for Hauppauge to come out with drivers that gives direct support to Media Center (HTPC is for parents). I would hope this also fixes the very common issue of people having to hard reset their HD-PVRs.

Yeah, if its for someone else, especially a non techie, I would not suggest this solution as it will probably need a bit of babysitting from time to time.

That said, i have had it record all day long with out any problems, and after turning EPG scanning off its been a lot better behaved. I think most problems probably relate to EPG and/or problems from USB traffic; it seems like you really need to have these on a dedicated USB controller for them to be most stable.

One more FYI, in case anyone is worried, if the analog hole ever does get closed, the HD-PVR will still be viable with an HD Fury 1 or 2, though those are not cheap either (~$150 for the HD FURY2).

Edit: For a hauppauge official driver you might want to read this. Cliff notes are that it appears that MS may be pressuring Hauppauge to NOT officially release a driver which wouldnt be too surprising as they have kowtowed to the content providers on everything.

Last edited:
Back