Windows 7 and external drives

Slade

2[H]4U
I'm noticing a major bug with my external drives via e-sata and windows 7 in which if I shut off the drive, it still says its connected. This is with a thermaltake blacx dock. It won't treat the drive as mass storage so I can't "eject" the drive before hand. On my previous build and e-sata, simply cutting power would be enough to disconnect the external drive. Anyone else have similar issues or suggestions for fixes?

Only a reboot solves this for me at the moment, but its kinda dumb that I'd have to reboot each time I want to "disconnect" and reconnect an external drive.

Sounds like typical behavior for an Intel ICH controller. Is it connect to it, or the third party eSATA controller?

It's on the intel ICH. Come to think of it, my previous board had e-sata as part of the back panel rather than connecting a mainboard sata to an external port.

It's on the intel ICH. Come to think of it, my previous board had e-sata as part of the back panel rather than connecting a mainboard sata to an external port.
That was likely a jMicron controller. It has two different drivers you can install.

One that treats the drives as external drives, so they work like USB mass storage devices like you want.
And another that makes it see and treat drives as permanantely connected drives, and it behaves like your describing.

As far as I know, with the Intel ICH, you can only have the later. I use the jMicron controller on my motherboard for my eSATA drives for this reason.

Testing that theory out I did some cable rearranging with the e-sata now on the micron controller. works as advertised now.

Problem in future when I grab SATA III drive and I've only got the 2 ports for sata 3....

Back