Windows 7 and Eclipse

MTXR

[H]ard|Gawd
I installed windows 7 x64 and i am having problems getting eclipse to run... even after i installed the JAVA JDK with win 7 support, eclipse says I don't have a Java VM installed and can't locate a PATH....

I tried adding a path to the java/bin directory under environment variables > system variables ....

Does anyone know how to get eclipse working in WIN 7?

EDIT: It looks as though you have to download the x64 version of eclipse when running win7 x64...

2m3kyvk.jpg

Last edited:
It's not the Windows, its Java I believe. Do have 64 bit Java? I use myElcipse 32 bit just fine on my sif rig using 32 bit Java.

yeah i chose the 64bit java jdk that had win 7 support.

The only way i was able to get it to work was using eclipse x86_x64

who knows.... eclipse 32 bit worked fine when i had vista 64....

i think eclipse is using java native things, so mixing 32bit & 64bit code like that doesnt work out so well.

The eclipse project says (not so clearly) that you're going to need a 64bit jvm to use 64bit eclipse.

http://www.eclipse.org/projects/project-plan.php?projectid=eclipse#target_environments

Lists:
Microsoft Windows Vista, x86-64, Win32 running (any of):

* Sun Java Standard Edition 5 Update 14 for Microsoft Windows (AMD64/EM64T)
* IBM 64-bit SDK for Windows, Java 2 Technology Edition 5.0, SR6b

(in this context, win32 is referring to the widget set... not something thats 32bit).

32bit eclipse probably worked fine because you were using a 32bit jvm. If you installed a 32bit jvm on windows7, 32bit eclipse should work fine too.

Back