Windows 7 and Desktop Area Right Click Delay

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by MeTaSpARKs, May 17, 2009.

1. MeTaSpARKs

MeTaSpARKs [H]ard|Gawd

What is frustrating my use of Windows 7 is that any time I go to right click on my desktop to get the context menu that allows me to go to my display properties, I literally have to wait eight seconds before seeing anything.

1) Right click on desktop
    2) Wait 8 seconds while seeing hourglass (the circular wait sprite)
    3) See context menu

I have an Intel 3.0GHz C2D with 4GB RAM. I'm on a GTX 295 running triple displays with it using nVidia's forceware drivers version 185.85. I just cleaned installed from a formatted drive. All my other hardware drivers are updated and I've defragged the disk after installation.

What can I do to eliminate the delay/wait time associated with step 2?

Thanks!

2. SR45

SR45 Limp Gawd

Complaint is wide spread on other forums as well. No fixes yet as I have learned. Hope MS fixes this glitch soon and not leave it until RTM

3. JonathanJ

JonathanJ [H]Lite

Odd, I've found RMBing on the desk to improved versus Vista. XD In Vista up to 6.1.7077 I found RMBing the Desktop resulted in the cursor busy state being shown for about half a second (about a quarter rotation) before the context menu would appear. Now it's instant again (Yay!).

As for a solution to your problem, I might suggestion removing the NVidia context menu extension for the desktop or any others you might have that effect it.

4. criccio

criccio Fully Equipped

You missed the most important part. What version of Windows 7? If its anything less then 7100, then you need to upgrade ASAP.

5. Snowknight26

Snowknight26 [H]ardness Supreme

Any non-standard context menus? I remember this issue from XP where a non-existant context menu icon was trying to be loaded but couldn't.

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  6. SR45

SR45 Limp Gawd

I had this same issue with build 7077, build 7100 and now 7127. So this issue is still not fixed. The delay is most noticeable over Vista. Each build was a clean reformat and install, no Upgrades

7. klexen

klexen n00b

I too have the same issue. I'm pretty sure it's due to nvidia driver issue. Run VGA mode and see if you still have the problem.

8. Met-AL

Met-AL [H]ardness Supreme

Yep, I had this issue once. I submitted a help ticket to our corp IT helpdesk. They had one of their guys mess with it for a while and never could nail it down. It was something with a context menu going out over our network. If I would unplug the Ethernet cable from the wall, it went away.

In the end, they just sent me a new hard disk with a fresh image on it.

9. MeTaSpARKs

MeTaSpARKs [H]ard|Gawd

Thanks but removing the nVidia context menu extension did not solve my problem.

10. MeTaSpARKs

MeTaSpARKs [H]ard|Gawd

I'm at 7100. Just downloaded the version Friday from Microsoft.

11. MeTaSpARKs

MeTaSpARKs [H]ard|Gawd

Just nVidia's, which as an earlier post suggested to remove, I did and found no improvement. Still a shitty eight seconds.

12. QwertyJuan

QwertyJuan [H]ardForum Junkie

I have an old Radeon in my 7 machines and to me, when I RMB on the desktop, it's actually FASTER than in Vista!

13. MeTaSpARKs

MeTaSpARKs [H]ard|Gawd

Thanks for the suggestion, but this did not resolve the problem. Looks like it has something to do with Windows 7.

14. MeTaSpARKs

MeTaSpARKs [H]ard|Gawd

Thanks for your post. Are you using nVidia or ATI video hardware?

15. MeTaSpARKs

MeTaSpARKs [H]ard|Gawd

Wow... just had a reply on a different forum that solved the issue.

From
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3779134&postcount=25

This solved my problem without need of a reboot.
    All I did was navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\ and that is where I found the NvCplDesktopContext key to delete. Mind you, this key was still there although through the nVidia control panel, I had unchecked to add the control panel to my desktop context menu. Once removed, instant success!

16. Dangman

Dangman Ninja Editor SuperMod

Odd.

Never had this issue with Win 7 Beta or Win 7 RC using the latest drivers. Specs in sig.

Glad to see there's a fix for it.

17. Chilly

Chilly [H]ard|Gawd

ATi cards in all my *current* systems. All of them have various builds of Windows 7 installed on them (7000, 7068, 7077, 7100), all of the the context menu comes up instantly, I just checked it right now actually.

18. bigdogchris

bigdogchris [H]ard as it Gets

I run a GTX260 with 7 x64 without issues so this may be related to certain GPUs or maybe whether you have PhysX enabled possibly (I have it off).

19. Sovereign

Sovereign 2[H]4U

The XtremeSystems fix worked! No reboot required. BRILLIANT.

Thanks!

20. Andrmgic

Andrmgic Gawd

Glad you guys got it sorted.. I wasn't seeing it on my machine with an ATI card or at work with Intel integrated.

21. undermined

undermined Limp Gawd

It is a option in the control panel to toggle this setting, check the pic:

[​IMG]

22. Sovereign

Sovereign 2[H]4U

*ahem*

The registry edit was worth it.

23. Modboxx

Modboxx Gawd

I discoverd that from a fresh install of build 7077, 7100, and 7127 that there is no problem only after i install the nvidia card drivers does it come up.

I also discoverd that if i goto the windows refresh rate window and just cancel out the problem go's away until the next time i restart.

Hopefully they fix this before release.

24. ilkhan

ilkhan No Title for You!

I dont remember ever having a delay prior to the RC, but its about 1/4 second for me right now.

25. MeTaSpARKs

MeTaSpARKs [H]ard|Gawd

Use the registry edit to solve the problem.

26. USMC2Hard4U

USMC2Hard4U [H]ardness Supreme

Amazing. I was about to Format and reinstall.

I have the exact same issue on Vista as well with the newest Drivers 185.85. I just formatted and went to 7 RC only because of this issue.... and it was still here.

Glad to see the Fix!

27. w1retap

w1retap [H]ardForum Junkie

Yes.. the registry edit worked. :cool:

I know when the problem starts to occur. It's when you install a new version of the Nvidia drivers on to Windows 7, whether it be from the Windows Update or downloading it from nvidia.com.

I had the W7 Beta installed... I updated the graphics drivers through Windows Update, then the nvidia drivers installed causing the right click delay.

Today I decided it was time to upgrade to the W7 RC version to avoid the time running out on me in case I get busy with other things. The initial install of the OS was fine, right click was fast. Then I downloaded the nvidia driver from nvidia.com for my setup. As soon as I restarted after the install, the right click delay started. I then applied the registry fix and it went away. Thanks. :D

28. ilkhan

ilkhan No Title for You!

registry edit worked, but only after going in and doing it manually rather than copy/pasting what that quote shows into a reg file (stupid spaces in the quote).

29. sirmonkey1985

sirmonkey1985 [H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010

the lag was nvidia's problem with 185.xx drivers.. it was fixed in the 186.xx beta's.. it causes it in XP 32bit/64bit vista 32bit/64bit windows 7 32bit/64bit.. so its not just a windows 7 problem.. i ended up going back to 182.xx drivers because i got sick of dealing with it.. im starting to lose hope with nvidia's drivers.. they just keep getting worse and worse..