Windows 7 and application installation issues.

ShepsCrook

[H]F Junkie
I've got an application that installs with a default license key (a .lic) file, but despite my user account being an administration account, Windows 7 says access denied in installing this file. I can drag the .lic file into the folder and Windows 7 will pop up a notification saying I need administrative permission to do this but allows me to "Continue" "Skip" or "Cancel"

I press "Continue" and the .lic file is dropped into the folder with no other problems.

I've also enabled the actual Windows 7 Administrator account that is disabled by default, and tried dropping the .lic file into the folder and it drops in just fine.

Why would MS make one user account that's an Administrator, not a true Administrator despite being in the same user groups and supposedly having the same permissions?...

Have you tried right clicking the program and selecting "Run as Administrator" yet?

Have you tried right clicking the program and selecting "Run as Administrator" yet?

it sounds like he's not running the application yet. He's trying to copy the license file to the folder the app was installed to, and it's not allowing him.

OP, maybe check ownership of the files?

although I'm also confused by the post... you say it does work:
I press "Continue" and the .lic file is dropped into the folder with no other problems.
then:
dropping the .lic file into the folder and it drops in just fine.

sounds to me like it's working as it should?

so what doesn't work now?

edit: ok I think maybe I understand... the application installer is trying to copy lic file, but the installer fails to copy this file. Yet you can manually copy/paste it. Correct?
was the folder empty/non-existant when you attempt to install?

It sounds like he IS running the program, but it dies at the point of copying in the license. He said he can drag and drop it with no problems.

Right-click and run the setup program as administrator, as the first responder said.

Back