Windows 7 activation question

polonyc2

Fully [H]
I have a Windows 7 64-bit (non SP1) install disc but it always hangs on Windows Update preventing me from completing the install...I also have a W7 64-bit SP1 install disc which installs with no issues...I was wondering if I could use the SP1 disc to do a clean install but then use the CD key from the non-SP1 disc to activate it

It should work fine. I do this all the time at work, you can even install Home first and use a Pro key on it via the anytime upgrade tool (if you're missing Pro DVD).

Some keys won't activate until SP1 is installed, and I've never had a key that required SP1 to not be installed.

You can pretty much use any Windows 7 media installation disk, and then enter a product key later and windows magic should handle it properly. So long as it's the proper bit-version.

x64 or x86 is usually only enforced for an upgrade (eg. W7 x32 to W8 x32) but for a clean install there's no restriction. I've used an upgrade key from x86 to flip flop between clean install of x64 and x86.

I tried activating my Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1 OEM with a Windows 7 non-SP1 OEM activation key and it wouldn't accept the key...told me I needed to use another key...that sucks

I tried activating my Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1 OEM with a Windows 7 non-SP1 OEM activation key and it wouldn't accept the key...told me I needed to use another key...that sucks

Was your Windows 7 non-SP1 OEM key used previously? OEM (or system-builder) keys can be used only once (or more specifically, can be used only on one computer--hardware changes may register as a change to the system, and hence a 'new' computer, which is prohibited).

Was your Windows 7 non-SP1 OEM key used previously? OEM (or system-builder) keys can be used only once (or more specifically, can be used only on one computer--hardware changes may register as a change to the system, and hence a 'new' computer, which is prohibited).

I frequently reformat my hard drive so I've used the non-SP1 OEM key in the past many times...each time it would activate with no issue...once I hit a certain limit it would just tell me to contact an automated MS number and re-activate...but this time when I tried to use the non-SP1 key on an SP1 system it tells me that I cannot use this key

But did anything about the computer change that you're trying to use the key on? Or just a reformat?

I've had problems using 32bit keys with 64 bit install but this works for me:

1. Click on the Start Button and type: CMD (into the 'Search programs and files' field in the Start Menu)
2. The Start Menu will show 'CMD.exe',
3. Right-click the CMD.exe file and select Run As Administrator. (or hit ctrl+shift+enter)
4. In the CMD window, type: slmgr.vbs -ipk asdf4-asdf5-asdf6-asdf7-asdf8
5. To activate windows after entering the key, type: slmgr.vbs -ato

Back