Windows 7 64-bit wireless woes?

ZenDragon

[H]ard|Gawd
Why is it so hard to find wireless cards that work with windows 7 64 bit? I really dont understand this!!! The trend obviously is going towards 64 bit, so why is that very few wireless card manufacturers actually make 64-bit drivers??? I dont want some cheesy USB wireless card I want a standard internal PCI card with external antenna. I had a nice 100 dollar WMP54GX a on my old machine but support for that seems to have been completely dumped. Anybody have any suggest for GOOD cards that they have actually confirmed working in windows 7 64-bit??? Part of the problem here is that I live in a concrete building even the walls between some rooms in my apartment are concrete, which makes wireless kinda sketchy. So I need a high power antenna or at the very least a card with a detachable antenna with a standard BNC style connector that I can attach a high power antenna to.

I'm not sure what they have available for desktop cards, but I always get my laptops with Intel wireless. It's always "just worked" with Win7, XP, and Ubuntu, using a few different cards in a few different Dells.

I have not had anything that doesn't work in Windows 7 x64...

D-Link DWAs
Linksys WMP600

Both fine...

Thats strange because every card I have tried so far has not worked... at least, they do not have 64-bit drivers for windows 7. Granted I have not actually purchased any newer cards and tried them just tried several older ones including my WMP54GX which at one point was a top of the line card and its s damn shame to let it go to waste. I guess ill have to buy one of of those and give them a try. Anyhow, thanks for the suggestions! That Dlink peice looks promising!

Thats strange because every card I have tried so far has not worked... at least, they do not have 64-bit drivers for windows 7. Granted I have not actually purchased any newer cards and tried them just tried several older ones including my WMP54GX which at one point was a top of the line card and its s damn shame to let it go to waste. I guess ill have to buy one of of those and give them a try. Anyhow, thanks for the suggestions! That Dlink peice looks promising!

Yea, don't know about older cards... I find that Windows Update will automatically find drivers for the cards I listed above and their website has even newer drivers.

I am still using an old D-Link wireless card (cannot remember the model # at the moment) that I bought around 6 years ago and it works fine with Win7 64bit.

how old is that router you had, the one that you had problems with?

dlink's are great, i have a 655 myself

Back