Windows 7 - 32bit or 64bit

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Boyo, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Boyo

Boyo Gawd

I am doing an entire new build. It will be built around the i7-920 2.66Ghz core. I have always used the 32bit version of XP because more software supports it. So with the new Windows 7 should I switch to the 64bit? Is it widely supported? Any help would be appreciated as this issue is my last one in my build. Thanks.

Boyo

2. GJSNeptune

GJSNeptune [H]ardForum Junkie

I went from XP Pro 32-bit to Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. You won't notice a thing. Programs that aren't 64-bit will run just fine.

3. bigdogchris

bigdogchris [H]ard as it Gets

I was on Vista 64 bit for almost 2 years then recently switched to 7 64 bit and everything runs great. The only programs that won't run on it are 16 bit programs from Windows 95/98 era. The only problem you may have is driver support for peripheals. Basically, all internal hardware has 64 bit drivers now but some older printers and such may not. However, Windows Update has a lot of drivers available though. So unless you insist on using out of date hardware, you should be perfectly fine and won't notice a thing different.

4. GushpinBob

GushpinBob 2[H]4U

Good God, why do people ignore the search function?!

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. Windows XP mode (free for pro and Ultimate users) for anything ancient that doesn't run in a 64-bit environment.

/thread

5. Boyo

Boyo Gawd

Thanks guys. I will go with the Windows 7 64-bit. Everything I have is new, or will be new, so I guess there will be no issues.

6. curlysir

curlysir Limp Gawd

The only issues I have had were with a Netgear print server and a Linksys wireless adapter. No drivers available, I decided to upgrade and replace both rather then try and fight the driver battle.

Other then these 2 issues the switch for 32 bit XP to 64 bit Windows 7 has gone better then I expected. So far I have no applications that will not run on Windows 7 64 bit.

7. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat [H]ardForum Junkie

Only issues I'm running into these days with 64 bit...printer drivers on the network, and sometimes on accounting programs or others...export to PDF function.

For home users, usually not a problem.

8. Pagan_Ranger

Pagan_Ranger Limp Gawd

I am having issues with my print server, as well. (older Trendnet). What print server did you go with that works with Windows 7 64-bit? Any tips or tricks for the install with the one you chose?