Windows 2H22 Gaming Performance Regressions

Virtualization-based security = VBS, it will eat about 3~4% performance in my personal testing... so wondering if it somehow getting re-enabled is the issue with 22H2 post performance patch for those who have tried?
i am on an insider version of 22h2 but ive never touched this and its set to "not configured" which the tips seem to indicate is equivalent to disabled. if it was working, itd probably be losing its shit over my unofficial sound drivers...

Note there's two 22H2, Windows 10 and 11. I'll stick with 10 until 12!

FWIW, a number of Windows features can cause Windows to run apps in virtualization mode. For example, enabling WSL will do it, even without enabling Hyper-V and with core isolation off. It's called "virtualization based security" (VBS). VBS can be disabled like this:
  1. Run: Start > Run > gpedit.msc
  2. Expand: Local Computer Policy > Administrative Templates > System > Device Guard
  3. Double click: Turn On Virtualization Based Security
  4. Set it to Disabled and click OK.
  5. Reboot.
It is ridiculous that VBS is enabled silently by enabling WSL and other features. It can even be turned on by other software, such as games that have anti-cheat mechanisms like Squad or Battlefield. Suddenly ALL processes are being run through a VM layer!
I dont have Device Guard listed

Reactions: erek
like this
Virtualization-based security = VBS, it will eat about 3~4% performance in my personal testing... so wondering if it somehow getting re-enabled is the issue with 22H2 post performance patch for those who have tried?
Virtualization is disabled in my BIOS. I tried disabling VBS using gpedit, and it remained the same.

Last edited:
I may have found a something a little interesting. I reran Heaven today. In Extreme mode, it was hitting constantly 234fps. I went to custom mode with the exact same settings except I check marked full screen mode. My performance went back to the 245fps I had originally seen. I wonder if Win11 handles windowed vs full screen a little differently than 10 does.

I may have found a something a little interesting. I reran Heaven today. In Extreme mode, it was hitting constantly 234fps. I went to custom mode with the exact same settings except I check marked full screen mode. My performance went back to the 245fps I had originally seen. I wonder if Win11 handles windowed vs full screen a little differently than 10 does.
Windows 11 does indeed handle windowed mode differently than Windows 10, have you tried looking into these setttings?:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-11-3f006843-2c7e-4ed0-9a5e-f9389e535952

I tried it all off except for gpu acceleration. It did not make any difference. Windowed mode still had lower fps on 11. I really need to test borderless windowed mode. I am curious if I see a change.
There’s other problems on Windows 11 too such as Integer Scaling being broken compared to windows 10. Impacts people doing console emulation

I tried it all off except for gpu acceleration. It did not make any difference. Windowed mode still had lower fps on 11. I really need to test borderless windowed mode. I am curious if I see a change.
Ah, I game in fullscreen mode whenever possible due to windows prioritization of fullscreen applications.

Ah, I game in fullscreen mode whenever possible due to windows prioritization of fullscreen applications.
Not true since Windows 8. They changed the compositor in the DWM so that everything, even games that have an "exclusive" fullscreen option, are treated like a borderless windowed application. You used to be able to disable that behavior by enabling the "Disable fullscreen optimizations" option for the executable in Windows 10, but they removed it from Windows 11.

Not true since Windows 8. They changed the compositor in the DWM so that everything, even games that have an "exclusive" fullscreen option, are treated like a borderless windowed application. You used to be able to disable that behavior by enabling the "Disable fullscreen optimizations" option for the executable in Windows 10, but they removed it from Windows 11.
can confirm, thats exactly how pga 2k23 acts(what i play most).

When I look, I get the opposite info:
https://game.info.intel.com/gaming-access/should-you-use-fullscreen-or-borderless-windowed-mode

"

When to choose fullscreen mode​

When an application is open in fullscreen mode, Windows grants it full control of the screen’s output. Assuming a game is optimized for the system and display being used, fullscreen mode has the potential to boost performance when compared to borderless windowed mode.

The catch, however, is that running a game in fullscreen mode hinders the player’s ability to access additional monitors or applications. The mouse cursor remains locked to whichever screen is displaying the game. To navigate out of the game, the player would need to use the Alt+Tab shortcut. "

When I look, I get the opposite info:
https://game.info.intel.com/gaming-access/should-you-use-fullscreen-or-borderless-windowed-mode

"

When to choose fullscreen mode​

When an application is open in fullscreen mode, Windows grants it full control of the screen’s output. Assuming a game is optimized for the system and display being used, fullscreen mode has the potential to boost performance when compared to borderless windowed mode.

The catch, however, is that running a game in fullscreen mode hinders the player’s ability to access additional monitors or applications. The mouse cursor remains locked to whichever screen is displaying the game. To navigate out of the game, the player would need to use the Alt+Tab shortcut. "
thats two years old and he specified win11

Some hard data, latency is lower in exclusive fullscreen mode with diminishing return as FPS go up:
https://twitter.com/RiotNu/status/1477698751594524674

EDIT:
1673663307068.png

Last edited:
AFAIK, in Windows 10 and 11, DX12 games don't do full screen exclusive in the traditional sense as mentioned already, and the "optimizations for windowed games" setting just applies the flip presentation model on compatible DX11 and DX10 games running in windowed/borderless mode.

FWIW, I've just started using borderless windowed in BF2042 DX12 for better overlay compatibility and ease of alt + tabbing and I didn't notice increased latency. I can't say much about the performance hit though, because my PC's performance exceeds the frame cap imposed by Nvidia reflex pretty much all the time.

Last edited:
Someone stated a change since Windows 8...
It did. The way Windows treats "exclusive" fullscreen by default in Windows 10 is basically just giving it higher priority than if you ran it in a borderless window. Nothing the linked Intel article contradicts what I said.

Back