Windows 2012 R2 on ESXi

remzaki

n00b
Hi guys,

I would like some assistance to what would be the missing configurations in my case. The problem is that the windows explorer buttons/icons are not displayed. See sample screenshot:
DDQ2aXq.png

What I did is that I had a Windows 2012 R2 setup in my VMWorkstation and got it converted and transferred into ESXi system. The first issue was that the OS is not fully initialized in the ESXi and so I searched and found a solution: I had to customize and use Windows 7 as the Guest Operating System so that the "Enable 3D Support" option is enabled and checked. And so it worked, the Windows 2012 image booted successfully, however the explorer buttons are missing.

Though it is fine when the vm image was generated in the ESXi and not being converted, I still want to know the possible solution for this.

Wait, what?

Define " Fully initialized"
Define " converted and transferred into esxi"
Why did you use a windows 7 cust spec for 2k12?
Why did you enable 3d?
And get on 5.5 - not supported on 5.0.

Wait, what?

Define " Fully initialized"
Define " converted and transferred into esxi"
Why did you use a windows 7 cust spec for 2k12?
Why did you enable 3d?
And get on 5.5 - not supported on 5.0.

1. "Fully initialized" - When I powered on the Windows 2012 VM it is stuck on a black screen

2. "converted and transferred into esxi" - the VM was running on VMWorkstation and I need to transfer to an ESXi. I used the "VMware vCenter Converter Standalone Client" to have the image in the ESXi.

3. "Why did you use a windows 7 cust spec for 2k12?" - This is a pre-requisite action so that the 3D Support is enabled.

4. "Why did you enable 3d?" - In order to overcome the problem in above #1 Item, based on what I found in the internet and yes it worked.

5. "And get on 5.5 - not supported on 5.0" - Yeah, I am considering this option but lets just stick with the 5.0 situation. I haven't tried if the problem existed on a 5.5 version though.

1. Ok... Sounds like known issues with 5.0
2. Good.
3. Um, what? It's not windows 7. It's windows 2k12. On the right version of ESX, you'd ahve the ability to customize 2k12.
4. That shouldn't have been needed.
5. why?

Yeah, running U2 5.0 and my 2k12R2 VMs are running just fine.

Owned = me. I stopped paying any attention to 5.0 months ago - didn't realize we added that :p

I'm currently running ESXi 5.5 and have no issues with running Server 2012 or 8.1. I had 8 running fine in 5.1 before I upgraded but not Server 2012.

From my understanding I thought VMware Workstation VM's could be copied to ESXi without any need to convert the VM's. Shouldn't that be the case as its the same manufacturer and similar product line?

I'm currently running ESXi 5.5 and have no issues with running Server 2012 or 8.1. I had 8 running fine in 5.1 before I upgraded but not Server 2012.

From my understanding I thought VMware Workstation VM's could be copied to ESXi without any need to convert the VM's. Shouldn't that be the case as its the same manufacturer and similar product line?

The product lines share almost nothing, to be honest - workstation serves as a testing/proving ground for VMM updates on occasion, but the rest of the product is completely unrelated. They used to be far more related, yes, but ESX has not been "linux with the workstation hypervisor" in a very long time (and never truly was, although they were closer)

Notably, disk formats, VMX formats (different features are in each product), video subsystems, networking subsystems, and low-level VMM functions are all different, which is why you do have to convert them now (especially the disk format, as the monolithic/sparse disk formats for workstation are not compatible with ESX anymore).

Hope that helps!

Click the arrow in the top-right corner to expand the ribbon?

This.

I dont understand the question. If you're wanting icons then just click the arrow. Explorer now has a ribbon interface, and it's minimized by default.

Back