Windows 2008 shared folder with XP and permission settings

zillah

Limp Gawd
Hi

Client of mine has got windows 2008 server as a standalone PC (no domain) with username: server and password : fake

And he has 5 other PCs (XP Profe SP3) on the same LAN

PC1, username : forum1,password : work1

PC2, with username: forum2, password:work2

PC3, with username: forum3, password:work3

PC4, with username: forum4, password:work4

PC5, with username : forum5, password:work5

Windows 2008 has got a folder to be shared with PC1, PC2, PC3,,,,not PC4 nor PC5

I know how to share the folder if I use option “Everyone” Under Properties > Sharing > Advanced Sharing > Permissions > Add > Everyone ,,,,,,and I know how to use the option “Public Folder” which is located %SystemDrive%\User\Public

With “Everyone” option PC4 and PC5 would be able to get access to the shared folder
Now my question if I do not want to use "Everyone" option , I have to create additional three local accounts on the server which are ( username : forum1,password : work1 ) and ( username: forum2, password:work2 ) and ( username: forum3, password:work3 )

Those username then will be able to login to the server which I do not want that to happen. Is this what suppose to be in such scenario ?

Thanks

make a folder for each username ? make it so they can see their own folder ? not to clear on what exactly you are trying to do...

make a folder for each username ? make it so they can see their own folder ? not to clear on what exactly you are trying to do...
This is not workable
Actually what he has got ,,,,he has got a program called quickbook that is installed on the shared folder on the windows 2008 and all other PCs (theer of them) should point to that shared folder.

This is not workable
Actually what he has got ,,,,he has got a program called quickbook that is installed on the shared folder on the windows 2008 and all other PCs (theer of them) should point to that shared folder.

quickbooks ? thats accounting software, and there should be a file in that folder that he has shared out so he can access it from the programs.

im still not understanding what you are trying to do tho.

I get that the server is serving the data file for the accounting software, but im not sure what exactly you are trying to do with all 5 pc's.

j'

You want the "everyone" group, all permissions, to be done on the share level.
It's the "Security" tab where you start controlling which users get access, this is the NTFS level. You add Administrator, system, and add which users you want to each folder. Simple enough since there are only 5x users. And then remove the "everyone" group from the NTFS permissions. Just create a local user account which matches what each workstation logs in as.

Similar with the Quickbooks folder...put the company files in the folder you setup for that, like QBooks...install the Quickbooks database server manager...point it to that folder, done.

Hi YeOldeStonecat
I missed your valuable comment on speedguide.net forum.

Just create a local user account which matches what each workstation logs in as.
Now if I create those users on windows 2008, then they would be able to login to the window 2008 ,,,,,wouldn't they ? Can I prevent that from happening ? Yes one option is to hide those uesrname from appearing in the welcome login screen

Hi YeOldeStonecat

Now if I create those users on windows 2008, then they would be able to login to the window 2008 ,,,,,wouldn't they ? Can I prevent that from happening ? Yes one option is to hide those uesrname from appearing in the welcome login screen

Or make it in the users so they can't log on, or use rdp.

And then remove the "everyone" group from the NTFS permissions.
My second question

http://www.techotopia.com/index.php/Configuring_Windows_Server_2008_File_Sharing
......., or select Everyone if access is to be made available to all users with local accounts:
In the quote above it says "Everyone" for all users with local accounts,,,,,,,why in my case when I chose this option (i.e. "Everyone" ), users on my LAN (i.e. forum1, forum2, forum3,,,,etc) can access the shared folder on windows 2008 although those users do not have local accounts on the server ???

Thanks

DAM, you know how hard it is to find windows 2008 server 32 BIT!! its hard. even a 160 day trial is hard to find :(

Hi YeOldeStonecat

They would be able to log onto the server locally, yes. Since you're basically using it as a workstation. Tis a drawback from basically a simple peer to peer network. With peer to peer setups, you have some simplicity of setup, but you also have limitations in your ability to control things.

even if you had AD they could still logon.

modify the local policy to deny logon for those users.

create username on the server and match password
share to everyone
security to the pc you want with the correct security
make sure to add the qb user to the shared folder with quickbooks.

create username on the server and match password
share to everyone
security to the pc you want with the correct security
make sure to add the qb user to the shared folder with quickbooks.
Hi marley1

Could you please give more details because I did not get exactly what you have explained

Thanks

Back