Windows 2003/XP Pro config

Simple question for someone, I'm sure, but when I try to access the 2003 server from an XP Pro machine elsewhere on my network, I'm asked for a username/password. Is there any way to remove this prompt, or if there isn't, I'd like to know where I could set a user name and password. Thanks :). All help is appreciated

You can duplicate the account that you are using on the remote comuter on the 2003 server, that way it will just log into the shares automatically.

If you have the exact same username/password on the client system and the server, both on the same workgroup, then you will no longer get the login box.

If that doesn't work, then you'll want to double check the share and ntfs permissions on the folder. Make sure the necessary local account has rights.

Another not recommended option is to enable the guest account. But do not do this! Very bad idea.

If you know the administrator password then you can use that when it prompts you. That will give you access, however it will ask every time you access the resource, no way to cache that.

Long term fix, create a username on the Win2003 server that is the same as you login into your workstation. You do this by right clicking on "My Computer" and choose "Manage". Then click on user management, users, then add new user. Then give this user permissions to whatever resource you are acessing. If you want you can just add the user to the administrators group and they will have full access to everything.

Put them both the server and workstation in the same workgroup to be safe, but I think this might not be required.

Back