Windows 2003 SP2 + R2??

nuclearsnake

Limp Gawd
Hi guys,

We just installed a new Win2003 server with R2. I was wondering how I would get the R2 Components onto my older Win2003 SP2 Server. Both are standard. When I try to install the components I receive "Setup has detected that another program requires the computer to reboot"
I have rebooted the server. I heard that it could be caused by having to new a version of .NET so I downgraded, but still getting the same thing.

I'm a little confused about Server 2003 vs Server 2003 R2... can anyone clear things up for me?

they are 2 different versions of the OS, R2 is a later release, but it's not a service pack, so you can't legally go from 2k3-sp2 to R2 without buying an R2 license.

I didn't want to upgrade to R2, just install the components... come to think about it, that would effectively turn 2003SP2 into R2...
hmmm
booo

R2 is an entirely different license. Not related at all to whatever service pack lever you're at.

You can buy the R2 component for about $250. This will add what your looking for and license the machine as such

Doh it was for SBS to upgrade to R2.
you would have to buy the full R2 license.
IMO R2 doesnt provide a great feature set unless you need to use DFS extensively. Upgrading the schema doesnt really do a whole lot.

If you're going to use DFS then yes its defnately worth it. The DFS in R2 is much better its domain name based and so you can use multiple servers to host the data.
When you get the R2 disks all you need to do is insert the second disk and run adprep / forestprep (assuming your doing this to domain controllers)
Once done then run the setup from the second disk this will just place the r2 files on the server.
Finally go to add remove windows components and install the new features you want.

Back