Windows 2003 Small Business Server and Exchange...

Lyquist

2[H]4U
I need to know something about this combination. I have a company that I work for using this combination. They recently went to Outlook 2003 for e-mail, but they do NOT want to use Exchange at this point. Is it ok to simply stop all the Exchange services on the server??? Will this cause any problems at all??? They are using Outlook for POP3 mail, but Exchange keeps showing up as an option and they want that to stop. THanks in advance for your help.

When they set up their email client the exchange option will be there, they just need to choose the right setup.
There is no issue with stopping or not using exchange on an SBS box.
If you dont need exchange you would probably bet better off just purchasing win2k3 R2.

When they set up their email client the exchange option will be there, they just need to choose the right setup.
There is no issue with stopping or not using exchange on an SBS box.
If you dont need exchange you would probably bet better off just purchasing win2k3 R2.

They have already bought the 2003 SBS, and they aren't buying anything else at this time. I am going to go in the morning and stop all the services on the server and hopefully Exchange will stop showing up as default in Outlook. Will this work? Thanks for your help.

No the default being exchange is because exchange is tightly integrated with SBS. It has nothing to do with the servince running or being stopped.
Just educate your users/client what exchange is for and they dont use that setup they use a POP setup and explain what that is.
Also make sure whoever sets up the end users email accounts knows the difference, unless the end user is the one setting up the account.

Few things.

One is to make sure they are saving to a pst and not to an exchange mailbox on the server(which will put an ost file on the machine if they have it caching to the local drive).

Once you do that remove the exchange account from the local machines. No reason for it trying to connect to exchange if you are not using it.

After that you can kill the services in exhange.

If they bought SBS2003...why not make use of it..

Have SBS2003 download the POP3 emails into the exchange mailbox
<or>
Have Outlook download the POP3 emails and store them into the Exchange mailbox

1 you get backups for all emails sent/received
2 OWA works with Exchange only...Im guessing they looked into what SBS is before they bought it, maybe they wanted to use any of the remote capabilities?
3 they can use public folders for sharing items, and also sharepoint integrates with Exchange

But if they dont want to use it..make sure the SBS2003 has no problms with reporting and monitoring...SBS sends out daily report emails about system memory, event log errors, etc.....it probably uses Exchange services for this.

There server sends me daily e-mails about stuff. If I kill the Exchange services, will I still get the e-mails??? I am pretty new to this, so any help I can get would be appreciated. I have ordered a book about this, but I haven't gotten the book yet, that is why I'm asking here. Thanks in advance.

There server sends me daily e-mails about stuff. If I kill the Exchange services, will I still get the e-mails??? I am pretty new to this, so any help I can get would be appreciated. I have ordered a book about this, but I haven't gotten the book yet, that is why I'm asking here. Thanks in advance.

Yea the reporting uses exchange. You could still remove the mailboxes from everyones machines so the client machines don't use it.

SBS is pretty integrated into everything, I would think stopping the Exchange services would stop the reporting, which would be bad thing to do.

The easiest thing would be to go to the machines and remove the Exchange account, leaving only the POP3 account

As others have said, you could probably just delete the mailbox...

I took a quick look at one of my SBS and don't see anything that stood out to disable it at all.

I have thought about loading Windows Live Mail on each machine to get around the problem completely. Would this work?? Thanks.

You mean using the web-based service entirely?

New email addresses- or just have Live manage your whole domain?

Advantages are obvious... No backup worries. Easily accessible from anywhere.
Disadvantages are obvious too... Not easily managed.

You mean using the web-based service entirely?

New email addresses- or just have Live manage your whole domain?

Advantages are obvious... No backup worries. Easily accessible from anywhere.
Disadvantages are obvious too... Not easily managed.

I am talking about the Windows Live Mail that you can download and use for free. Would that work???

But you would still have to set that up on each PC, which would be the same as removing the Exchange account from each PC and continue using Outlook 2003

It sounds like now each PC has Outlook setup with an Exchange account and POP3 account....just remove the Exchange account and set the POP3 as the default account.

Just remember that this means all Outlook things will be stored on the invidual PC.
- user changes desk/PC....Outlook items will not follow to the new PC (unless you spend time copying/importing the file into Outlook at the new desk)
- PC dies....all outlook info is gone (unless you spend time recovering it)

Not to be rude, but you didn't even respond to the last suggestion...
What are you looking for?

I guess that I will just have to go over their tomorrow and see what I can do for them. They just need Outlook 2003 to do simple POP3 e-mail and wilol not be using exchange at this point. I have bought a book about it from Amazon, but it hasn't gotten here yet. Does anyone have anymore feedback??? I think that one of them tried to remove the Exchange from Outlook, but then her folders went away. How can this be fixed??? Like I said, I will go their tomorrow. I just want to be armed with a good solution. Thanks in advance.

I think that one of them tried to remove the Exchange from Outlook, but then her folders went away. How can this be fixed??? QUOTE]

That means they have stuff in their exchange accounts.

If you look at the left side (the tree), the "Personal Folders" is what is generally used for POP access, personal accounts, etc.

It will say Mailbox - First Last if it is an Exchange folder.

Said user can just re-add the Exchange account and get all her stuff back.

I don't see it here- why exactly won't you use Exchange? I'd personally switch everyone over. Gives you nice flexibility and central management.

"I think that one of them tried to remove the Exchange from Outlook, but then her folders went away"

that means they download the POP3 emails in Outlook, then store them in the Exchange mailbox (if they stored them in a PST file, removing Exchange wouldnt cause them to be gone)

This is how you want it setup..emails downloaded and stored in Exchange.
You just need to go into Outlook, Tools, Email accounts, and make sure the POP3 is set for Default

Back