Windows 2003 Shared Folder & Permissions

Manu

Limp Gawd
We have a Windows 2003 server here which is basically a dummy file share machine. We have a 67GB drive which has folders on it which are shared, and inside are subfolders which have oftentimes different security permissions.

The 67GB drive is nearly full. What is the best way to move one of these subfolders but maintain the security permissions we have?

For example
D:\Users\XYZ
Users is shared as users
XYZ only has access by user XYZ

If we copy the Users folder and paste it to the E:\ lets say, resetting up the share is easy, but all security permissions are lost.

Thanks

when you move or copy files/folder to another NTFS partion the permissions will be lost. you have to recreate them.

Depending on your disk subsystem.. i would add onther drive to your raid 5 array or create a new raid 5 array. Image the partion to the new disk subsystem.

Yeah, I was hoping to find some way around losing the permissions. The users folder has about 100 subfolders, each with its own permission.

(this is an inherited server, I dind't set it up this way.)

Right now, the 67GB drive is running in a RAID1 I believe. We recently purchased 2 160GB drives, were planning on tossing them on in another RAID1.

Do we have better options we should look into?

If I remember correctly, I think a tool called Robocopy can copy permissions.

well i assume your OS + files are on the 67 GB. i would image the 67GB raid to the new raid setup and format the 67GB and use it if ever need that extra space.

Me personally. since you said you have RAID1 right now i have to assume its 2x73GB

I would have purchased another 73GB drive and switched to raid 5. you would have brought yourself up to arround 140Gb and you have fault tolerance.

xcopy will also keep permissions with the right switch.
I had a similar issue of moving user's 'home' drives from one machine to another.

Oakfan-9
The OS /programs are on their own drives, 36GB drives in RAID1 as well.

The 67GB is 100% data.

Yes, 2X.

Ambit-

Will give that a try, seems to be what I need to do exactly.

Robocopy is what you need. It comes in the windows 2000 resource kit or you can download it here

Yoblad said:
Robocopy is what you need. It comes in the windows 2000 resource kit or you can download it here

never used that might have to look into it. i think that would be a better option if you are going to add a new array. But me persoanlly it would have been more cost evective to just upgrade to a raid 5 array.

Back